Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Spirit

Options
  • 02-10-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

This site is slowing going from a fantastic helpful site to a moaning one, you swear if you didnt know the are that we lived in an antisocial estate, someone asked where is the community spirit?

Community spirit is not something you just get, it has to be built!

I grew up in an estate and there has always been alarms going off, dogs barking. The difference was people knew their neighbours so would go and say it to them, now i know thats harder now as we all leave early and get home late. But it only takes 2mins to either knock on your neighbours door to say HI im X, I live in X, heres my mobile in case my alarm goes off or my dog is annoying ya. This shouldnt be hard as we all leave in blocks. There was an alarm going off the other day I went out looked up and saw with bell was flashing so i had a look at house, all looked fine so I rang the mgt co and asked them to contact the owner, this can be done too with dogs barking. Ok this can be harder if its at night but if you have an idea where its coming from just call them the next day. They will contact the owner,, thats along as people have done what they were asked and gave the mgt co their contact details. If you havent done this, please do so now.

I often walk around the estate with my dog and its amazing how many people I say hello too or just smile and nod and all I get back is a blank look unless they are non irish, then u always get an hello, how are you back.

So lets all make the effort and built what could be a wonderful community.

Rant over, have a great day :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Would that be because you walk with your dog without a lead or a bag and those dogless people amongst us are fed up with the mess that is being made of our paths and our green?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Would that be because you walk with your dog without a lead or a bag and those dogless people amongst us are fed up with the mess that is being made of our paths and our green?

OMG!! I give up :eek:

The answer to your questions are: I walk my dog on a lead and ALWAYS clean up after she does her deed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

@LMC - dont despair - there are still a lot of community minded people out there....who's mission in life is'nt to pick holes in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The Guide wrote: »
    @LMC - don't despair - there are still a lot of community minded people out there....who's mission in life isn't to pick holes in everything.

There, I fixed the punctuation for you!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Ha! See!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

LMC, I wouldn't take the issues raised on forums such as Boards.ie as any kind of indication of a lack community spirit, one of the main attributes with outlets such as boards.ie is to raise issues and seek solutions so it will always seem like there are more problems than anything else. On Saturday, I was caught out in the rain walking towards Charlesland and as the rain got heavier and heavier, a very kind individual who I'd never met before (and who had children in the car, so had their hands full already) pulled in and offered me a lift. I respectfully declined as I was just about at my destination and I didn't want to soak his car seat but community spirit is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

What you are saying is so true. Too many self righteous holier than thou smart asses on this site (yeah yeah 'why do you visit it, then Tomato' etc)

I still visit it in the hope that it may somehow be helpful and that that sense of community spirit comes out once in a while.

I have tried to get to know my neighbours although in fairness I think most like to keep to themselves and they fear I may turn into one of those stalker neighbours who turns up at the front door unannounced for a cuppa at all hours of the day and night.

I love charlesland and have so many friends here, I love living here. Im a fairly rule abiding person ( and dont own a dog or a cat so you cant pin that one on me either) but have to say I feel like our behaviour is constantly scrutanised with people unafraid to comment about where you park,how you drive, where you leave your bins, what shade of brown your window frames are, how loud you sneeze...

Relax, Charlesland police!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Tomato wrote: »
    ...what shade of brown your window frames are...

Your windows frames are BROWN?!?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Tomato wrote: »
    how loud you sneeze...

Ah, so that was YOU sneezing at an unacceptable level at 3.17pm on Sunday.....

;)

Advertisement