Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A dangerous precedent being set in the Rugby Forum

Options
  • 02-10-2011 10:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

When is abuse not considered abuse. Is abuse ok depending on the circumstances? If the abused does something wrong is he allowed to be abused? The answer of course is no, abuse is wrong and it is boards policy not to allow abusive posts.

Now I bring you to the strange happenings within the Rugby forum this morning.

This was posted by justsomebloke, moderator of the rugby forum.

He followed it up with this post.

I PM'ed the mod and he informed me that the abuse of Ghiraldini, the Italian hooker, was allowed 'as the player left himself out for getting abuse like that.'

This is preposterous. Surely it's either abuse or it is not abuse.

Posts like 1 2 3 4 5 6
    all contravene the rugby forum charter, specifically;
    Abuse of players and/or Pundits and Commentators will result in bans/infractions. Calling players and/or Pundits and Commentators derogatory names is not tolerated on this rugby forum.

Calling players derogatory names is not tolerated on the rugby forum yet the moderator specifically said that abuse of any other player will not be tolerated, with the impication that the abuse of Ghiraldini is acceptable because of the circumstances.

I'd like to know when did this rule become part of boards. If Wayne Rooney breaks Steven Gerrards's in the Liverpool and United match next week are we users allowed to abuse Rooney for his actions.

Are the politics users allowed to abuse Brian Cowen and Bertie Ahern for the decisions they took in office with this new precedent?

Can members of the education forums abuse lecturers if they do something wrong under this new precedent?

This is very dangerous territory for boards. Consistencey is key and frankly I believe it is outrageous that a moderator tolerates flagrant and rampant abuse within their forum. This needs to be acted on and a decision on whether this is acceptable or not must be reached as soon as possible.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

Its just some ordinary bloke doing his modding leave him alone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

bamboozling I suggest that you pm the Sport cat mods about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

As a point of reference this was in a Live match thread.

An Italian player was caught eye gauging an Irish Player (basically one of the the most shocking fouls a player can commit), people reacted immediately to it on the thread. I gave a warning to everyone going forward to watch what they say.

If a professional sports player commits a career threatening tackle on another player, I think people should be allowed a slight bit on grace in their immediate response to the actions of offending player in a live thread as the player is the one who has left himself open due to his actions. People will be warned to not to carry on past the time of the initial incident though which they were

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Don't play rugby, don't watch rugby. I do however watch hockey, and have played the same. My point is, that as the mod said during a live event passions will run hot. I agree that when an egregious foul is committed people should be allowed a bit of leeway in venting their spleens. However it should be understood that it is only during the actual event are such outbursts acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

This is very dangerous indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

That reference is lost on me, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That reference is lost on me, I'm afraid.

It was a poor attempt at being funny in an effort to get thanks while undermining your point.

Best to just ignore him and he'll go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

"A dangerous precedent being set in the Rugby Forum"

Very dangerous indeed, somebody think of the children. :rolleyes: It was handled perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Quazzie wrote: »

It was a poor attempt at being funny in an effort to get thanks while undermining your point.

Like thanking every post in a thread for laughs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

It has been pointed out to me by Dav that they way I handled this matter was incorrect. I would like to apologise for my actions in not upholding the letter of the charter and the inconsistencies that this may cause for the other mods of both the rugby forum and other forums.
    As it was my mistake no action will be taken against those involved, however in future no abuse will be tolerated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

It has been pointed out to me by Dav that they way I handled this matter was incorrect. I would like to apologise for my actions in not upholding the letter of the charter and the inconsistencies that this may cause for the other mods of both the rugby forum and other forums.
    As it was my mistake no action will be taken against those involved, however in future no abuse will be tolerated

Thanks for the apology.

Advertisement