Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on hotel job

Options
  • 02-10-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My mother in law is working part time(allegedly) in hotel in housekeeping for over year now,but lately over 6 month period she is working 7 or 8 days in row and with one day off between the working week and when she asks for second day off manager say its to busy you cant take day off so goes for holidays she has 2 weeks left of hols to take but management again says no we are to busy in November i find that very awful and im now worried about her health cos she is lady in her 50s and shes working like donkey at the moment i know what hotel i doing can be legal and she is very quiet person and wont say anything about it so i read some employment law but still have no clue whether go to manager and say something but don't want to get her in trouble in work please help as this week she got 8 days in row to work thanks for nay kind of advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many hours per day is she working? If she's doing more than 48 hours in a week, that's illegal and she should talk to her union or Citizen's Information or NERA. Similarly if she's not allowed to take four weeks leave per year. But remember that leave is at the employer's convenience, not the employees.

If she's having health problems, encourage her to see her GP, and explain the problems and workload: the doctor can then work with her to identify what next.

IMHO, you should NOT talk to the hotel yourself - and any manager worthy of the name would tell you to stick your nose out of your MIL's business if you tried. The only exception is if she has a disability and you're registered as her care-giver

Advertisement