Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was in Doneraille walk

Options
  • 02-10-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Straight down the botton of the hill from the cannon, there's a concrete slab footing (whatever 12foot by 12 foot roughly) right beside cliff edge , its walled off from the rest of the park, what was there , someone told me a bandstand but looks more like there may have been possibly a childrens playground there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That's where the Cannon used to sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

A hanging post for captured babrbary pirates which was later used as a look out post for shooting stars, german submarines and aurora borealis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

rasper wrote: »
    Straight down the botton of the hill from the cannon, there's a concrete slab footing (whatever 12foot by 12 foot roughly) right beside cliff edge , its walled off from the rest of the park, what was there , someone told me a bandstand but looks more like there may have been possibly a childrens playground there
    how old are you that ya don,t remember where the cannon used to be positioned????

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Steady on , I'm not from Tramore originally
    Don't know where things used to be

Blow in! :mad: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

mike65 wrote: »
    Blow in! :mad: :p

Like half the town or the locals must have been breeding like rabbitts for the last 10-15 years

Indeed, When I lived in Tramore as a child the place had a population of about 3,500, its now about 10,500 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Back in the 1950s, there used to be a tea room down there. It was a wooden structure and went up in flames one night. In the 1960s, the cannon was placed there on a wooden frame, which disintegrated and the cannon rested on the ground throughout the 1980s. There was a second cannon, by the way, which somehow found it's way into the garden of the large house alongside the Coast Guard station (used to be Slatterys')

Advertisement