Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden shredder advice needed

Options
  • 02-10-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

Hi, first post in this forum.

I have privet hedges on each side of my garden and need to cut them back regularly. The brown wheelie bin can't cope with the amount of trimmings so I need to buy a shredder. I already have a chipper, but it wont handle the smaller green cuttings, only thicker woody stuff. Can anyone recommend a shredder that will deal with all the soft green stuff? I saw one in Lidl recently but didn't want to invest without any knowledge of shredders. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If the stuff is too soft for the shredder then surely it would compost well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

slowburner wrote: »
    If the stuff is too soft for the shredder then surely it would compost well?

There's just way too much of it, I need to shred it to reduce the volume. I do compost what I can.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I see. The problem with shredders and Privet is that its leaves hold a huge amount of water. This causes stickiness and binding in the chute.I don't think you will have much success with shredding unless you are prepared to fork out for a petrol engined shredder which has a dedicated wet shredding attachment.
    The only consolation is that Privet leaves break down really quickly. I would put them on the beds as a mulch - they will rot into the soil in a few weeks. In fact, I would put the shreddings back on the beds too. All you are doing by filling up the brown bin is taking nourishment from the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

Hello
    I own a industrial shredder and privet turns into peas soup when we put it through the hammers. If you are cutting on a regular basis use a lawnmower to mulch up the clippings, (we cut privet every 2-3 weeks during growing season) what is left over can raked up. If you "must" buy a shredder expect to pay €3-5k for good one for home use. Follow these links
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8De09oBSw1o&feature=related A new site "lawnmowers.ie" is launching at end of month, I think! they will have it, otherwise http://www.whatkit.co.uk/ will provide you with all the info you will need to make an informed decision.
    Regards

Advertisement