Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tradesmen beware in hollybrook ferrybank

• 02-10-2011 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Was called to do a job at a certain house in hollybrook ferrybank, The first call i got on the day in question at 10am was from a guy that needed a job done asap, he sounded under real pressure so i told him i would get to him even thou i was up to my eyes in work,
    Anyway when i called to the house was met by a yound man who kindly showed me the problem and i went about my work all sorted and grand,

He then asked me to have a look at his brothers house a liitle down the hill, under a lot of pressure with time i agreed, his brother wanted the job done straight away but i couldnt do it as i had other people booked in, so i told him i would call later in the week.

I then looked around and the first fella that i was dealing with was gone, so i called up to the house that iv done the work for to get paid only to be met by travelers !!! that was it i was not getting paid had to listen to a lot of ****,

equipment, time, insurance, all gone down the swanny, im not loaded and a family man with 3 kids to support, This is the **** iv had to put up with in a resession, its hard enough to make a few quid these days then having been turned over,

So its gone to the stage i wont call out to travellers anymore, and south africans either which i also had problems with, im no racist so please dont pull that on me or the "painting everyone with the same brush"

Im sure if anyone on here from that neighbourhood which is a nice place, lovely homes, will know who im talking about,

Ps, forget about calling the garda the law is on their side

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Yeah, you're a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

Well if i thought i wasnt their turning me into 1 fast :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

That's pretty disgusting alright Banjacksed, no point in even arguing with these people, the first group you mentioned.

When you say south africans I'm curious, do you mean just Africans? I never knew there were many South Africans in particular living in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

That's terrible Banjacksed, I hope the fookers have no luck after that.

Am curious about the South Africans though.

Yes correction, nigerians, they will call you out, agree a price for a job and when your leaving they haggle over the price, not just one or twice or 3 times its happened, im just pissed off with dealing with them, they think they can get everything for nothing in this country

• Advertisement

banjacksed wrote: »
    Yes correction, nigerians, they will call you out, agree a price for a job and when your leaving they haggle over the price, not just one or twice or 3 times its happened, im just pissed off with dealing with them, they think they can get everything for nothing in this country

I know someone who is a taxi driver and they used to drive him insane with their haggling.

Im not the only tradesman in town starting to get this attitude, It sickens me caus i know so many people from around the world who i trained with from loads of countries and very good friends with, as i said im not racist but when they ring me now im just hanging up the fone,

Racist? ok maybe a little but every good right to be;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

your right too B, no one should have to deal with that crap.

you cant open your mouth these days and your a racist... seems like everyone is part of some minority :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I just use the terms "This guy", "Yer man" or "There was this guy"

What exactly did the gardai say? They should have got a warrant to search the house for your stolen property at the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

1. They think that way because they do get everything for nothin!
    2. Make the price paid in advance before you do the work or tell em to feck off
    3. Did ya ever hear the saying about a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down? It also makes the engine of them minorities in Ferybank go bad bad bad. Just use about a cup and the engine is fooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Overcharge them and when they haggle, just go down to the price you would normally charge.
    Pity about the other pricks robbing you of your hard earned. Sad thing is , you can't say boo to them without having the minorty card played and having pavey(sp?) point getting onto you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sorry to hear that. They're some fcukers. They want equal treatment when it suits them but then they go around pulling shit like this.

Did they rob much stuff on you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

I then looked around and the first fella that i was dealing with was gone, so i called up to the house that iv done the work for to get paid only to be met by travelers !!! that was it i was not getting paid had to listen to a lot of ****,

what exactly happened here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

what is it exactly that you do?? as one poster said agree price beforehand and take the payment before the work is done or get them to sign a lagally binding contract before carrying out the work and if they don ,t pay up then sue there ass!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Remember it's Ferrybank, the old stock there are ok, but no one know'stheir neighbours over there anymore.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    What exactly did the gardai say? They should have got a warrant to search the house for your stolen property at the least.

Nothing, they asked me to do a job, nothing in writing !!! between us, am now waiting for new docket books to be done up, so cant walk into a home no more without the consent of the owner, well their sig on the docket, and thats if they are who they say they are !!! law is fooked upp :rolleyes:

what is it exactly that you do?? as one poster said agree price beforehand and take the payment before the work is done or get them to sign a lagally binding contract before carrying out the work and if they don ,t pay up then sue there ass!!!!

Electrical work, Its a sad day when i have to get paid up front, but i understand where you are coming from, im just old school when it comes to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Was called to do a job at a certain house in hollybrook ferrybank, The first call i got on the day in question at 10am was from a guy that needed a job done asap, he sounded under real pressure so i told him i would get to him even thou i was up to my eyes in work,
    Anyway when i called to the house was met by a yound man who kindly showed me the problem and i went about my work all sorted and grand,

He then asked me to have a look at his brothers house a liitle down the hill, under a lot of pressure with time i agreed, his brother wanted the job done straight away but i couldnt do it as i had other people booked in, so i told him i would call later in the week.

equipment, time, insurance, all gone down the swanny, im not loaded and a family man with 3 kids to support, This is the **** iv had to put up with in a resession, its hard enough to make a few quid these days then having been turned over,

So its gone to the stage i wont call out to travellers anymore, and south africans either which i also had problems with, im no racist so please dont pull that on me or the "painting everyone with the same brush"

Im sure if anyone on here from that neighbourhood which is a nice place, lovely homes, will know who im talking about,

Ps, forget about calling the garda the law is on their side

Thats tough banjacksed, all you can do is learn from it and move on. Unfortuantely, people arguing with you after price is agreed and work done comes up regularly enough with tradesmen, have experience myself with same issues. Have to agree with you, wouldnt do any work for any travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Fugs!!

You say equipment and stuff was all down the swany, so were you actually robbed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

marlin vs wrote: »
    Remember it's Ferrybank, the old stock there are ok, but no one know'stheir neighbours over there anymore.

In fairness the same can be said about most places across Waterford City, I'm originally from the Cork Road and my parents still live there and I can safely say that theyre are more houses there that I wouldn't know the occupants that those that I would nowadays and I lived there for over 20 yrs, I know Hennessey's road is the same.

Fugs!! wrote: »
    You say equipment and stuff was all down the swany, so were you actually robbed?

Well yes, but the law dont see it that way, :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well yes, but the law dont see it that way, :mad:

First of all, bad luck lad, they are renowned for getting out of paying for services.

Anyway, when you say you were robbed you mean that you used equipment and time and didn't get paid for that. Equipment being cable/wires/fittings etc?

Anyway, it can fall into the realm of Civil Law - Non-payment for services given (non-Garda issue), or can also be Criminal Law - Fraud: Obtaining goods or services through deception (Garda matter). I'd have a word with the Gardai again, the travellers knew what they were doing. It's not a dispute over price, but a refusal to pay, which (in my book) would be Fraud...

Advertisement