Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK to discuss EU withdrawal referendum

14567810»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Is it questioning mod direction to point out that it was only the 12 colonies? :P :D

Edit: forgot about Earth! THIRTEEN!

There were 13 original colonies. They were the British colonies which later became the first states of the United States.

New England Colonies Middle Colonies Southern Colonies (Virginia and Maryland comprised the Chesapeake Colonies)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Musiconomist

Batsy wrote: »
    Britain wasn't there first. All those lands in what is now France belonged to the Angevins, not the British (or, to be precise, the English).

England just happened to be a part of the Angevin Empire - it didn't rule it - and became a part of it due to Normandy, another part of the Angevin Empire, invading and subjugating England.

Those territories in what is now France didn't belong to the English. They belonged to the Angevins. And the French had no right taking them and making them a part of their country.

Eventually, the only parts of the Angevin Empire that the French didn't steal were England and the island areas of Normandy (the Channel Islands).

That's why the Kings of England fought France during the Hundred Years' War to take back their ancestral lands that the French stole off their ancestors (King John and Richard the Lionheart). John and the Lionheart ruled the Angevin Empire, but it was not England ruling it. They just had different titles in each of the Angevin territories. For example, they were both the King of England but also the Duke of Normandy and would have titles in each of the other Angevin areas.

You are beyond reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No. I mean all Commonwealth nations.

Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe is no longer a member of the Commonwealth. It left in 2003 when the Commonwealth heads of government refused to lift the country's suspension on the grounds of alleged human rights violations and deliberate misgovernment.

Pakistan was suspended between 1999 and 2004 following a military coup by Pervez Musharraf.

Pakistan was suspended for a second time, far more briefly, for six months from 22 November 2007, when Musharraf called a state of emergency.

I would more readily trust ANY Commonwealth country than I would certain countries in the EU.

You'd trust Pakistan, Rwanda, and Nigeria over some EU countries?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

You are beyond reason.
    the normans [norsmen] were not french, the were a tribe of vikings,their chief was rollo,normandy was granted to them by charles 111 of france,they adopted french culture and language,it was the same as the irish did under the english.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Musiconomist

getz wrote: »
    the normans [norsmen] were not french, the were a tribe of vikings,their chief was rollo,normandy was granted to them by charles 111 of france,they adopted french culture and language,it was the same as the irish did under the english.

What is your point? I dont see the relevance of picking a certain moment, near the more recent end of human history, and saying, "Now, this is where everyone should be" and trying to work backwards.

As if we need more problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

At the time of the Norman Invasion of 1066 England was ruled by King Harold II, an Anglo-Saxon king...
    ...and a descendent of invaders.

I'm bored with you at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

marienbad wrote: »
    And what about N.Ireland and the original native americans ?

The native Americans should rule Northern Ireland.

You are beyond reason.

I'm telling the truth.

K-9 wrote: »
    You'd trust Pakistan, Rwanda, and Nigeria over some EU countries?

I'd trust all of them three before I would trust France and Germany.

The Commonwealth nations are all friends and allies. I wouldn't say France and Germany are friends and allies of the UK.

Eurosceptic? EU must be joking

by Tony Parsons
    Daily Mirror
    29/10/2011

WHY do these swivel-eyed, ­mouth-foaming, ear-steaming ­Eurosceptics keep banging on and on and on about a referendum?

We had one as recently as 1975!

A mere 36 years later, and these drooling Little Englanders keep demanding that the British people should have more of a say in the running of Britain. Nutty or what?

Look, the bigoted xenophobes need to understand that our politicians are united on this subject – Tories, Lib Dems and Labour have all broken manifesto promises to hold a ­referendum on Europe. It’s called democracy.

Can’t the ­goose-stepping Eurosceptics see that we owe our national prosperity to the European Union? Anyone would think that the lambada-dancing, ­tax-dodging, moussaka-munching nations of the EU have dragged it to the very edge of bankruptcy. Racist rubbish!

Don’t these mad Morris-dancing Eurosceptics get it? The British people don’t care about our laws being set by a bunch of unelected, faceless, ­unaccountable bureaucrats in Brussels who don’t even speak the same lingo.

What the British care about is jobs – and clearly having three million ­unemployed is nothing to do with freedom of movement within the European Union.

True, we have no control at all over someone coming to work here from Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, ­Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

But that actually creates ­employment, because a plumber or unemployed teenager or single mum from Newcastle or Manchester or Bristol is free to go and seek work in Warsaw, Prague or Naples. And of course many millions do.

Can’t the rabid Eurosceptics see that the EU creates employment?

Why, only this week, Nick Clegg’s wife Miriam Gonzalez has taken a job as head of EU trade at American law firm Dechert.

The Office for National ­Statistics calculates that Britain will have the biggest population in Europe by 2043 – an impressive 75 million. The rabid ­Eurosceptics say this might put a slight strain on British hospitals, education, social services, transport and housing. Racist nonsense! What connection is there between a surge in population and allowing the citizens of 26 other nations to move here when they feel like it?

The brainless Eurosceptics need to understand that many people in Britain get a teary glint in their eye when they see that glorious EU flag. I know I do.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/columnists/parsons/2011/10/29/eurosceptic-eu-must-be-joking-115875-23522357/#ixzz1cHVbILVY

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

I'd trust all of them three before I would trust France and Germany.

The Commonwealth nations are all friends and allies. I wouldn't say France and Germany are friends and allies of the UK.

Surely wouldn't France and Germany be more similar to the UK than say Pakistan. The UK shares a common history with both countries. By that meaning it would impossible to talk about UK history without mentioning both in some shape or form. The same can be said about Pakistan but only about relatively recent history in comparison. The Queen is part German. Also I heard that there was talk about France sharing an aircraft carrier with the UK? It would suit neither country if Britian was reduced to a basket case. I'd imagine both would want a properous UK instead of that and the potenial unrest affecting their local populations.

Are you prepared to believe any european country would be at least a friend of the UK or not out to harm the country. I know that over the centuries they all have been at war with UK. But they all were also allied the UK at various points in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He has more faith in dictatorships and tin-pot regimes in far flung corners of the World than mature democracies with a shared heritage on his own door-step. If the majority of his countrymen are of a similar belief then it's a country in serious trouble.

Advertisement