Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking with an Aga

Options
  • 02-10-2011 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am just installing a lovely old Aga cooker and would love to get some tips for cooking with it. We are a family of six and love cooking and eating! Anyone with Aga experience out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

dont have one myself but my mam does.
    A warning i cant cook on it to save my life because you have to know where the hot spots cold spots are and you only learn this with using it regularly.
    My Mam barely uses the electric because there is always a big fire in the range and she knows where to leave everything on it/in it to get the temperature she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You can get books about it, but I think it's just a case of trial and error and getting used to it - as you would with any oven. The only thing I know is to keep the lids closed as much as you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Hi and congrats on your Aga! I'll give you a few tips on my experiences with cooking with an Aga. First off all, my Aga is oil fired so maybe be different to your system and have slightly different characteristics -like I don't have any thermometer but I can bake/roast in the over by instinct (which will develop over time as you get to know it!)

As mentioned above you should keep the lids down if you need a hot temperature, like for frying steak/toast/jam making. But otherwise you can leave the lids up if you want some heat in the kitchen and you don't require a hot temp for cooking. If your Aga is also used to heat water for bathing etc then this will effect the temp. For instance if you run a big bath, you will find that the heat of the Aga will be reduced due to it heating up more water (this happens in my system anyway). Also if it is a windy day, the temperature will also be reduced as some of the heat will be drawn up the chimney.

As you develop a 'feel' for your Aga you will be able to bake/roast easily, by adjusting what hight where you place your tin/tray within the hot oven. The higher the position the hotter it is. Oftentimes I turn the tin or item around half way during baking, as I have a 'hot spot' at the top left. I mainly use the bottom/warm oven for heating up some leftovers and jam jars when jam making. You will never smell anything burning in an Aga oven, so be careful and keep an eye out when using it. I find the heat in an Aga oven very different from an electric oven, a lot more gentle i'd say.

I think the best thing about an Aga is that you can leave a stew on the warm ring for a few hours, and it will need very little attention or stirring- again the gentle heat. Another great feature is that if you come in from the cold you can open the top oven door and stand with your back to it to warm up! :pac:

I will be glad to answer any more questions if you have any and wish you happy cooking!!

Advertisement