Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing classic cars

Options
  • 02-10-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

hi all, im researching importing classic vehicles from the states.
    i lokked into importing jap motorbikes into the uk in the 80s,as i had a motorbike shop back then,i seem to remember it was better to romove the engines from the bikes as this meant they were not taxed as whole bikes ,but parts
    could i do this with cars,if not what sort of duty would i have to pay for a doer upper
    thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

If the car is 30 years old or more then it is exempt from VRT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Soldie wrote: »
    If the car is 30 years old or more then it is exempt from VRT.

not really, a €200 charge will apply. Also, VAT maybe be applicable as the vehicle is coming from outside the EU.

And taking the engine out will achive nothing. The classic car market here is banjaxed like most things right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭just pete

If the car is to be registered here in Ireland then it wont matter one bit how many pieces it came in.
    No way round it if the car needs registering

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bustersdad

thanks all for your input

Advertisement