Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters in Education

• 02-10-2011 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Just wondering if doing a masters in education would increase my chances of getting a teaching position. I am a qualified history teacher. Would a masters give me more points at an interview?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

A masters in history would show you have an in depth knowledge of the subject. But what would really help would be to have a second subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

I agree that a second subject is the best way to make yourself more employable. History is not that popular at leaving cert, and will become optional for Junior Cycle in all schools with Ruairí's plans for 2017, so that will make you even less employable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 andee

Cheers for the replies,

is there any second subject you would recommend that there might be a future demand for (excluding irish and maths!) thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

History is not that popular at leaving cert, and will become optional for Junior Cycle in all schools with Ruairí's plans for 2017

It's already optional. Lots of schools don't have it as a compulsory subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

from experience of interviewing, vast majority of people presenting for interview in history have a masters in international relations or something to that effect.
    Masters is good but get yourself a few more subjects by getting a few arts modules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Look at doing religion as another subject, you can do it in one year and its in the vast majority of schools and all year groups do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

I enrolled in a Master's course last night and had to laugh on the way out when I heard one girl say to another "a Masters is a Masters - it doesn't matter what it's in". I presume in her case it was an attempt to raise points for a PGDE application or something. It just struck me as to the artificality of great chunk of the Masters' industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Rosita wrote: »
    I enrolled in a Master's course last night and had to laugh on the way out when I heard one girl say to another "a Masters is a Masters - it doesn't matter what it's in". I presume in her case it was an attempt to raise points for a PGDE application or something. It just struck me as to the artificality of great chunk of the Masters' industry.

Hi,just wondering where you enrolled for your Masters? I thought it would be too late for most colleges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Rosita wrote: »

....and also how little value some people put on education or their ease of access to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

....and also how little value some people put on education or their ease of access to it.

Well doing a Masters ain't cheap these days though,so I'm sure people do value it.
    Unless Mummy and Daddy are paying for it.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

solerina wrote: »
    Look at doing religion as another subject, you can do it in one year and its in the vast majority of schools and all year groups do it

In fairness, Religion is not going to improve the OP's chances much. Having two optional subjects, one of which is usually not an exam subject is only marginally better than just having History.

Advertisement