Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you live in a house with a laneway behind it?

Options
  • 02-10-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking to rent a house and saw a very lovely one... however, after walking about outside, I noticed there was a laneway running the length of the block at the back of it.

I know its possible that laneways could attract shady people who might be taking drugs or what have you.

What do you think, should I rent the house?

By the way, the house is in Kilmainham very near to James hosiptal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A strong light outside will solve a lot of issues, they can be activated with movement.
    Though the local cats will set it off too :)

Get a wire mesh too so the local kids don't take potshots at it with stones

The landlord would do it, it's not a big request and they'll have it for years and years so in their interest too.

If you are ready to take the place it's fine to make specific requests from your new future landlord.

A happy tenant is a happy landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

amandausa wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking to rent a house and saw a very lovely one... however, after walking about outside, I noticed there was a laneway running the length of the block at the back of it.

I know its possible that laneways could attract shady people who might be taking drugs or what have you.

What do you think, should I rent the house?

By the way, the house is in Kilmainham very near to James hosiptal.

My family home has a laneway right behind it, lots of houses in Dublin of a certain age will have this. Nothing bad has happened in the lane behind my folks' house, though the residents association recently put gates at each end so you could find out whether there are plans to do that in the area. If the back if the house is secure and you have no real need to use the lane then its probably safe enough for you.

You might end up using the lane for access it you have a garage and a car or bike, or if you have to put bins out for collection then it mat be easier to bring them via the lane rather than through the house. Those are the main reasons why my parents use the lane behind the house. If you don't have reason to use it then it shouldn't stop you from living there.

Talk to landlord about any security concerns and see if they are willing to fix or install anything for you

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I do.

Ours has a gate at either end, but you'd get the odd person try get in, ours is at the very start so is attractive to the local scum, but a decent alarm and a mam who does be out smoking every hour or two solves it.:D

Advertisement