Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiber optic home network

Options
  • 02-10-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I will be moving into a new house which is only being built at the moment. I saw this as an opportunity to wire it properly for media streaming and to have a network that is somewhat "future-proof". It seems that copper cabling is becoming more expensive and reaching its bandwidth limits. This led me to the idea of installing fibre optic cable as it can comfortably handle higher than gigabit speeds. There would probably be a server (in a garage) connected to 2-3 nodes (in the house).

I have installed a pretty simple cat6 gigabit network in the past but this would be something quite different. I can't seem to find as much information about fiber optic installations either. Maybe someone with knowledge of networking can offer some input into this and tell me if its a mad idea or not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Are you wealthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Installing fiber would make it insanly expensiove & difficult to repair if you have a break, Honestly Cat6 or cat6-e should be more than enough for home LAN.

[Keep in mind you can stream HD tv over a <10Mbit link]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

If you want to be really future proof, install cable ducts with some pull-lines so you can add additional cables or fiber in the future.

For short to medium term though, Cat5e and Gigabit should be more than adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Copper can still handle 10G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Even ethernet can handle a bluray which tops out at about 28mbit. Cat5 does gigabit, Cat6 does 10gigabit and is as futureproof as you need, fibre is not necessary.

Better to spend your money on a decent router with decent cpu and ample memory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

just had similar done in my own house. now i have just been up to have a quick check on the house and have noticed that teh sparks hasnt installed network sockets or plugs on any of the cat6 wire. obv i still have to do a snag etc but i have been told that the sparks may not do this? any1 know anything about this? and if i will need to get in another crowd to do the finalising on the network cable?

tazzzZ wrote: »
    just had similar done in my own house. now i have just been up to have a quick check on the house and have noticed that teh sparks hasnt installed network sockets or plugs on any of the cat6 wire. obv i still have to do a snag etc but i have been told that the sparks may not do this? any1 know anything about this? and if i will need to get in another crowd to do the finalising on the network cable?

No, electricians don't normally do this and most know very little about it. I've often seen them mess it up by connecting them the wrong way, looping the cat5 from room to room or connecting using T-568A instead of T-568B
    http://www.topwebhosts.org/tools/rj45-wiring.php

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You can cold splice certain fibre types now, the G.657.3 standard is also tolerant of being bent unlike earlier fibre which wasn't, eg g.652

see

http://www.huihongfiber.com/bend-insensitive-patch-cord.html

RTFM first especially mechanical splicing .

http://wiki.ftthcouncil.eu/index.php/FTTH_Handbook/Fibre_and_Fibre_Management

and this ....see video link

http://www.siemon.com/us/xlr8/

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

johnciall wrote: »
    Installing fiber would make it insanly expensiove & difficult to repair if you have a break, Honestly Cat6 or cat6-e should be more than enough for home LAN.

[Keep in mind you can stream HD tv over a <10Mbit link]

Yeah I realise now just how expensive fiber is. I now understand that cat6 should be adequate. You mention cat6e is that the same or better than cat6a?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

Darkphenom wrote: »
    Yeah I realise now just how expensive fiber is. I now understand that cat6 should be adequate. You mention cat6e is that the same or better than cat6a?

This will help you compare the different category cables http://www.binbert.com/blog/2010/05/differences-between-cat5-cat5e-cat6-and-cat6e-cables/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

tazzzZ wrote: »

It's actually very easy to do yourself, the tools required are not expensive. All you need is a punch-down tool and some snips. It can be a bit fiddly so allow for a few practice sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

CAT 7a is 10gig !!

tech wrote: »
    CAT 7a is 10gig !!

Cat6 will do it
    When used for 10GBASE-T, Cat 6 cable's maximum length is 55 meters (180 ft) in a favourable alien crosstalk environment, but only 37 meters (121 ft) in a hostile alien crosstalk environment such as when many cables are bundled together. 10GBASE-T runs of up to 100 meters (330 ft) are permissible using Cat 6a.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Fiber cabling at home ? You sir are my hero :D Im all seriousness cat 6 will do the job easily. My tv only supports 100Mb I stream full HD to it.

Doylers wrote: »
    Fiber cabling at home ? You sir are my hero :D Im all seriousness cat 6 will do the job easily. My tv only supports 100Mb I stream full HD to it.

Someday it will be cheaper to do than copper

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Someday it will be cheaper to do than copper
    cable is way cheaper, joins / termination is the main expense

Advertisement