Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Products not to recommend

• 02-10-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

With all the threads about recommending product, I got thinking about products that we all end up buying that are really bad (for whatever reason) - something that was just a disaster and we would never buy again.

So, this thread is for all the stuff that you have bought that turned out to be totally useless and a waste of money - those products that you end up throwing out a full jar of, never use because the colour is all wrong or just were so disappointed about that it ended up not being used. As a "non recommendation" to everyone else on the board, in case they were thinking of buying the same thing!

Mine is a Ruby and Millie brush set I bought in Boots years ago - decided to splash out on a whole set and ended up using non of the brushes for various reasons (some don't pick up any product so I ended up digging holes in eyeshadows just to get a bit of colour, others have no structure and splay out with even a slight amount of pressure, one in particular was very scratchy...). Would never buy these again and would always recommend people steer clear!

Please give a reason for dislking the product and keep it light hearted - just supposed to be a bit of fun (and a place to vent!) ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

MAC mascara is shít. Cheaper brands like Collection 2000 and MaxFactor give better effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

Found loreal collagen mascara terrible no lift and really clumpy, and loreal color match foundation really patchy crap coverage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Chanel nail polish. Yes the colours are amazing but it's watery, takes about 4 coats to get it right and then it chips 5 minutes later. Waste of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

17 Falsifeye mascara, left my eyelashes clumpy with no volume or length. The gel eyeliner they were selling with it on promotion was also crap! Took a few applications to get good coverage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Garnier BB cream. Its too greasy-shiny, takes ages to dry, and is neither a good tinted moisturiser or simple moisturiser.

Umberto Gianinni Spa Rituals intensive hair mask. It left my hair heavy and lank but with ends that felt crispy.

No.7 Foaming Face Wash. Waste.Of.Cash.

Bourjois mineral powder. Translucent? Not unless you're an Orang-utang.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Sexy Mother Pucker from Soap and Glory - the smell is beyond absolute cack, it makes my stomach turn :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I bought some E.L.F foundation and found it to be awful, was very heavy. Its only about 2e though so I suppose you are getting what you pay for:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

No. 7 brushes (other than the foundation brush, which I actually really like!) - I found these to be awful. The blusher brush sheds like crazy, the eye liner brush is as hard as a rock and just feels like you're poking yourself in the eye with a stick or something and the eye shadow brush is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

YSL's new shocking mascara. Shocking is right, I bought it a few weeks ago, and ended up throwing it in the bin yesterday!! I've tried it a few times, but it just went on really thick and gloopy, with little bits sticking on my eyelashes all over the place. Looked cheap and horrible. Going back to my beloved Armani Eyes to Kill mascara, but disgusted at paying so much for a terrible product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

zzxx wrote: »
    Chanel nail polish. Yes the colours are amazing but it's watery, takes about 4 coats to get it right and then it chips 5 minutes later. Waste of money
    +1. I also found Chanel polishes took ages to dry.
    Novella wrote: »
    No. 7 brushes (other than the foundation brush, which I actually really like!) - I found these to be awful. The blusher brush sheds like crazy, the eye liner brush is as hard as a rock and just feels like you're poking yourself in the eye with a stick or something and the eye shadow brush is terrible.
    +1 to this, I don't have their blusher brush, but their kabuki brush sheds like there's no tomorrow, it is awful. Definitely the worst brush I have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I might just have had a run of bad luck with this stuff because loads of people love it but I found Diorshow mascara to be absolutely pants. Goes on extraordinarily clumpy & guaranteed to melt down my face at some stage during the day. The only thing I'd recommend it for would be if you were going as The Crow for Halloween & were too lazy to smudge black facepaint under your eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For me - Touche Eclat - could never see any improvement afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Bad Gal mascara- Benefit. Me and my mate both have panda eyes within hours!

He Shi Tan- wears off really patchy. (not the instant wash off one).

lipglass by Macra- gloopy.

Aveda Shampure shampoo and conditioner- my scalp was so dry and my hair was breaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

CBFi wrote: »
    Bad Gal mascara- Benefit. Me and my mate both have panda eyes within hours!

noooooooooooo I love it :D

Total agree with the posters on Chanel nail polish (found YSL just as bad tbh), & Garnier BB cream - so so so much hype so so so little results.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Body Shop makeup brushes - I find they apply makeup horribly and the handles are ridiculously chunky.

Burts Bees Peach and Willowbark Deep Pore Scrub - One of the few Burts Bees products I dislike, it feels like I'm rubbing sandpaper on my face when I use it.

Good Things range - I picked up a few of their products on 3 for 2 and I hated all of them. They smell like the Glitterbabes range I used to get from Boots when I was a kid and I found the products very drying.

Colour B4 - I had a semi-permanent colour in and I didn't have it for very long so according to the instructions this product should have worked brilliantly for me. It was completely useless, barely took any colour out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Sorry, double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I second the negative review on Hi-shi tan, really crap. Like rubbing dirty water on your skin, just sinks into your pores.

Also hated Diorshow mascara- but the worst mascara I ever used was No.7 Extravagant Lashes- it just stayed wet on my lashes and smelled really strange, like paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

For me the Loreal true match blush and the maybelline blush (don't remember name but it's in a long black plastic tray) were really rubbish. No colour payoff at all. Besides maybelline dream touch blush and elf studio blush I can't find decent cheap ones. Love my one and only mac product - dame!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Rimmel Foundation- any I've tried have been crap on my skin both in colour and texture/coverage.

That's all that I can think of off the bat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

No.7 nail polishes - the worst I have ever come across.

Vichy Soin Hydratant Anti-Imperfections Moisturiser - It's actually a fantastic moistursier, it leaves my face matte, which I love as it means no oily chin or nose etc. My only problem with this is it flakes. A few minutes after I apply it, I have white flakes, I usually have to dab my face with a damp cloth, which helps a little, but there is still some flaking :( If it wasn't for the flaking I'd recommend this product.

Nails Inc - The Hurlingham nail polish - I love the colour of this polish, it's a nice orange colour, but not an "in your face orange". It peels so easily though. I don't get more than a day (well, few hours really) out of it to be honest. Shame really, as it is a gorgeous colour.

Clarins Colour Quench Lip Balm - 03 Pink Macaroon - I don't like or recommend this, simply, cause it is sticky, if you like sticky glosses, you'll probably like this, but if like me you don't like sticky glosses, you won't like this. It's has a nice sweet scent though.

Eyeko lipgloss - Shoreditch - Like the Clarin's colour quench lip balm, this is sticky, which I don't like about it.

The Colour Club – Gimme A Grape Big Kiss - One of the worst nail polishes I've ever had. It's takes an age to dry, and even after an hour it's still not dry. Also I needed three coats, and even then it was still somewhat transparent. It has a nice scent though.

Boots Essentials Cucumber 3-minute Clay Mask - I didn’t find much/any difference in my skin after using it.

I much prefer the Boots conditioning clay mask, I find it leaves my skin soft and smooth, unlike the Boots cucumber mask.It’s not a product I’d recommend and it’s not something I would purchase again, no matter how cheap it it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Lancome Flash Retouche Concealer-

2.5ml tube of it cost me more than a 30ml bottle of Lancome foundation

Ok for highlighting areas on the face

Crap if you're actually trying to conceal something. Spots become huge luminous mountains under it and dark eye circles seem to stand out more. Basically, it draws more attention to what you're trying to hide.

The tube has one of those brush applicators and you have to click the end of the tube to get the concealer to dispense. You have to push it 4 or 5 times before anything will come out and when it does, a humongous waste of a blob comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Benefit high beam - maybe I'm putting it on wrong, but doesn't do what its meant to do

Touch eclat - I think its the wrong colour for me - seems to highlight shadows

+1 for BB cream, bought it last week and my skin felt greasy all day and it looked shiney.

Clarins beauty balm. Just don't get it. Maybe I was expecting wonders after using it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

everything chanel has been a let down, foundations with crap coverage or staying power, mascara that does nothing a tint wouldn't do and sh!te nail varnish

estee lauder double wear, awful foundation, felt like polyfilla on my face during the day and took nearly 4 applications of cleanser to get off, ruined my skin, was patchy, irritated, flakey and took on a weird grey appearance with continued use, when i stopped using it all back to normal!

benefit hoola, my natural colour is not tangoed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Haven't had too many disasters, but most memorable ones were:

- Benefit eyecon cream. Seems to be discontinued anyway, but it gave me a rash and I had to return it.

- Max Factor mascara.

- Elizabeth Arden morning serum. Completely pointless product.

- Nails Inc varnish. Now, this one came with a magazine, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the quality of the varnish. Certainly didn't make me want to buy it.

- Lancome juicy tubes. How on earth can people wear these? I feel like my mouth is glued up whenever I have tried it. They feel minging on your lips, you can barely see the colour and they're bloody expensive for what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

88 Warm Palette from Coastal Scents. Really poor pigmentation and just dropped all over my face.

Fab colours so could have been so good, but yet sooooo bad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I can't remember the name of it, but it's the MaxFactor foundation that's supposed to adapt to your natural skin tone :confused:

It looked nice just after application, but after an hour or two my face was completely orange...the bf was like "What have you got on your face?" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Touche Eclat, seems to highlight my dark circles rather than conceal them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Touche Eclat isn't concealer, it's highlighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Avon Hair Dye - got the black one and it turned out to be light brown!:eek:

Sticking to Nice n Easy in future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

Urban decay face primer. Got it because I love their primer potion for eyes. Big mistake, does nothing for my foundation and is too gloopy and sticky to achieve anything. Will stick to smashbox primer in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

Aussie 3 minute miracle - a friend recommended this and I've heard great things about it but it must not suit my hair. When I've washed and blow dried my hair and go to straighten it it smells like sweet burning plastic. It has a pretty weird smell to begin with like powdery sweets from years ago but that plus the burning smell it leaves in my hair is just disgusting. I tried leaving it in shorter or longer and washing it out really really well but always the same result so I gave it away.

Vichy aera teint pure - this was massively recommended by Letzmakeup on youtube. She wanted Vichy Dermablend (as did i) but the lightest shade was too dark for her (and me!) so she got this instead and was delighted with it and raved about it in a video. I decided to pick it up and while the colour seemed excellent as it was so light (maybe even slightly too light which I've never experienced before) once I put it on within 10 minutes it turned orange and was a few shades too dark for me! It went patchy also. Even before all that I wasn't loving it - couldn't see anything special about it. I tried a few different ways off applying it and had to give up and gave it away.

88 warm palette & 88 metal mania palette - loved the original 2 palettes (88 matte palette and 88 shimmer palette) but these 2 were not the same quality. The warm palette had mixed finishes but very poor quailty, especially the chalky mattes. The metal mania palette was better quality but all the colours seemed to have the same gold hue once applied unlike the 88 shimmer palette where all the colours were original.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭beautyqueen

xen tan absolute luxe dark lotion-rrp is €53.

the guide colour is a strange green/white colour, and its so hard to rub in cos its like sludge. when developed its so patchy and the wear off s not great deffo not worth €20 never mind €50!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

I bought some E.L.F foundation and found it to be awful, was very heavy. Its only about 2e though so I suppose you are getting what you pay for:)

Me too - but the mineral one. I got it in the lightest shade as even on the site it looked a bit dark. Anyway it's pink, pure pink on the skin and gives off that awful freaky shine that can't even be dampened down by matte/transluscent powder.

ELF brushes on the other hand...10/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

dudara wrote: »
    For me - Touche Eclat - could never see any improvement afterwards

Too true. Overblown hype about such an underperforming product.
    Aldi's version much better and for €5 something....am I allowed to plug? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I wouldn't be a fan of the elf stipple brush, nor do I find their eye shadow brush particularly good. Overall, in my opinion, elf brushes in general are quite overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭WhiteRose90

moonflower wrote: »
    Colour B4 - I had a semi-permanent colour in and I didn't have it for very long so according to the instructions this product should have worked brilliantly for me. It was completely useless, barely took any colour out.

I've used Colour B4 a few times ( the stronger one for dark hair). The colour came out very well but didn't come come out great at the tips but I'd been dying my hair dark colours so long it was to be expected. I left it in between an hour and 2 hours before washing it out and covered my hair in cling film to trap the heat. Also, I'm naturally blonde so maybe that worked in my favour or something.

I wouldn't recommend using Fudge Paintbox* colours. They're nice to look at but putting them in is VERY messy and stains everything. Towels, skin and anything else it touches! It stained my pillow cases even though I washed my hair a few times when I saw the colour was still staining my hand whenever I touched my hair. Never using it again.

EDIT: Fudge Paintbox hair dye*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Adding my name to the Touche Eclat list, overpriced and ineffective. Waste of money in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

Bought the dior skin forever foundation on recommendations from here. at 43 euro I was really hoping it would be the foundation for me but it is really bad! unless I got a faulty bottle the foundation just slides off your hand when trying to put it on and basically does the same on your face! says it has no oil in it yet I feel it makes my oily t zone look v v oily and it doesnt last all day, any bit of heat and it begins to slide off.

So dissapointed when you consider the price of it!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

sophie22 wrote: »
    Bought the dior skin forever foundation on recommendations from here. at 43 euro I was really hoping it would be the foundation for me but it is really bad! unless I got a faulty bottle the foundation just slides off your hand when trying to put it on and basically does the same on your face! says it has no oil in it yet I feel it makes my oily t zone look v v oily and it doesnt last all day, any bit of heat and it begins to slide off.

So dissapointed when you consider the price of it!!:mad:

Oh no! Thats mental! Why don't you go back to the counter and ask them to apply it for you because you haven't been getting the expected result? At least then you will know if you have a faulty bottle or if its not the product for you. Forever is my fav foundation of all time. I find it stays on through anything and my skin is generally normal to dry but oily in places (t zone) and it works perfectly for me. I always get loads of compliments on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

slowmoe wrote: »
    Oh no! Thats mental! Why don't you go back to the counter and ask them to apply it for you because you haven't been getting the expected result? At least then you will know if you have a faulty bottle or if its not the product for you. Forever is my fav foundation of all time. I find it stays on through anything and my skin is generally normal to dry but oily in places (t zone) and it works perfectly for me. I always get loads of compliments on it

Second that - I got a sample first and have just bought it after the sample ran out. I love it - it lasts really well.

Like slowmoe, I have an oily t-zone, but normal skin otherwise

• Advertisement
Advertisement