Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hang heavy weight on dry lined wall

• 02-10-2011 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

My daughter has asked me to hang a large punch bag on a wall in her house. The problem is that the bag is about 20kg+ and the wall is dry lined. The gap between the plasterboard and the concrete wall is very large, about 75mm. The bracket has 3 holes for fixings and I can only catch a stud with one fixing. I really need to catch the concrete wall in some way but with the 75mm gap I do not know how to do this. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,007 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I had to do similar to hang my curtains, last owner had them hanging off the dry lining and they where all ripped out.

Get 100mm or longer masonry screws/bolts and hang it off the wall. Don't forget to pick up a masonry bit big enough to drill the holes, it's a pain having to drive back to the hardware shop to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Get large frame fixings, would hold up a static load. Chadwicks have them fairly cheap, woodies / b&q can be very dear...

The problem might be from movement, I'm guessing they aren't just going to look at it. I wouldn't be compessing the plaster board as it won't last too long..

The simplest job might be to cut out the plaster board between 2 studs and the height of the bracket and replace with some 1/2" ply, then screw bracket to the ply.

Even simpler again would be to fix ply to the wall, a nice wide bit so it can be screwed into 2 studs, then just bolt the bracket to that. Bracket could be bolted on before offering up the ply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

the best and only way in my opinion as a dryliner is to cut square of plasterboard out fix bracket to block wall and patch back in , may take bit more effort but it WILL hold it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Are you a troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Firefly2

Del2005 wrote: »
    I had to do similar to hang my curtains, last owner had them hanging off the dry lining and they where all ripped out.

Get 100mm or longer masonry screws/bolts and hang it off the wall. Don't forget to pick up a masonry bit big enough to drill the holes, it's a pain having to drive back to the hardware shop to get one.

Are we talking about Rawlbolts etc? Any particular type?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Just bought these recently for a similar job - http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=150982

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,007 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Firefly2 wrote: »
    Are we talking about Rawlbolts etc? Any particular type?

These are what I used.
    dp639 wrote: »
    Just bought these recently for a similar job - http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=150982

But since it's a punch bag it may be a better idea to cut out a bigger hole and place something solid between the wall and plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Del2005 wrote: »
    These are what I used.

But since it's a punch bag it may be a better idea to cut out a bigger hole and place something solid between the wall and plasterboard.

You are probably right, mine was for some fairly heavy curtains and rails only.

Advertisement