Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Pay@Pump

Options
  • 02-10-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I bought 65e petrol from a Tesco Petrol Station on Friday morning, i used the pay at the pump option and all went fine but I just checked my internet banking and they still haven't taken the money.

Surely this should be an almost instantaneous transaction?

Anyone experience this before or know if theres a set turnaround time on this?

Free Petrol would be nice, haha!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

I find the money has been held, but will be a few days before it shows on the account. Weekends adds a few extra days to it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 joefurl

Ah right you are, I called internet banking and it gave my balance as 0.00 as opposed to 65.00.

Cheers!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

matchthis wrote: »
    I find the money has been held, but will be a few days before it shows on the account. Weekends adds a few extra days to it

Yeah, however I think the retailer must have something to do with it, I have often seen a week go by before the transaction would appear on my online banking for my Credit Card with BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Tesco batches at 11pm every night and still on my AIB Internet banking it can tack 3 days during the week and 5 days at the weekend to appear. Its a pain in the ass and means I dont use my card for a few days until I know exactly whats leftin the account between DDs and laser transactions.

Is Visa debit any faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

The way the card system works for many retailers is as follows

When you pay, the terminal checks that funds are available and reserves the funds.
    When the retailer batches the system at the end of night (autonatically done at various times in the night) the amount is then debited from you account.

If its Friday or Saturday, the amount gets debited on Monday morning, but it has been ringfenced since the minute your purchased the goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

My terminal went faulty last year.

When I noticed it was playing up I called out the engineers.

They found two months of unbatched transactions sitting on it even though I was doing it daily.

He batched it off and away it went.

Perhaps this is what is happening here?

Tesco batches automatically. I've never heard of the EOD not working.
    Does your available balance not update immediately? When paying by laser my available balance will reflect the updated amount straight away but will take a few days to update the detailed view. I always know how much I have available from my account summary.

No, I'm with AIB and the balance will say €70 for example but if I try do a transaction for more than €5 it will be refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Tesco batches automatically. I've never heard of the EOD not working.

No, I'm with AIB and the balance will say €70 for example but if I try do a transaction for more than €5 it will be refused.

But I was batching every night. For some reason they were not going to the bank.

Something went faulty in the machine. Thank feck they were still on it, I could have lost the whole lot.

God you were lucky, you could never prove the money was yours. No way the bank would charge each card according to the receipts. I take it you have a terminal and a seperate POS system. I didnt realise there was a memory function on them after batching.

There was a thread here a few months ago about a bloke who used a convience store every day for about 6 months and all of a sudden the money for every transaction over the 3 months came out at once. Its amazing how this can happen. Major flaw in the cash less model.

There no machine involved, just a server running end of day then wiping all data.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Tesco batches at 11pm every night and still on my AIB Internet banking it can tack 3 days during the week and 5 days at the weekend to appear. Its a pain in the ass and means I dont use my card for a few days until I know exactly whats leftin the account between DDs and laser transactions.

Is Visa debit any faster?
    I have a visa debit and any time I purchase something and use my card to pay the money is withheld in my account.

If I have €60 in my account, and purchase something for €20, there is €40 left, and my internet banking shows the account at having €60 in it, but only €40 available to spend. It takes a few days for the transaction to show on my account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

When you say you were batching do you mean you were settling and keeping the settling receipt. This has numbers on it and the transaction code numbers match the lodgements in the bank.

No, at the end of business there is a function on the CC terminal where you send every transaction to the bank over phone line.

Once this is done you can clear the data from the terminal.

If the store didnt batch until 4 months after you made the payment, it would be at least 4 months until the money left your account.

Advertisement