Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccines

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

pwurple wrote: »
    It's inability to assess risk correctly. Basically like messing up their maths homework. A lot of people are innumerate. It's just a hunch, but the anti-vaxxers I know personally, maths would be their weak subject.

I don't think there is malice in it, if there is, it's blinkered selfishness rather than actual desire to harm and kill sick children (which is the end result).

I would agree with that. Also, something I have seen a lot in anti vac arguments is a lack of understanding of the notion that correlation does not imply causation. A happened, B happened. That does not mean that A caused B.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I could be wrong but I think the CP vaccine doesn't guarantee against getting CP?
    Am I mixing that up with something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

brokensoul wrote: »
    I would agree with that. Also, something I have seen a lot in anti vac arguments is a lack of understanding of the notion that correlation does not imply causation. A happened, B happened. That does not mean that A caused B.

That was pretty much the basis of Wakefield's research. I tested all these autistic kids. All of them got the MMR. Therefore the MMR caused autism. 1 5 year old could work out the flaws in that logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

shesty wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think the CP vaccine doesn't guarantee against getting CP?
    Am I mixing that up with something else?

No vaccine is 100% effective for immunisation. That's where herd immunity comes in.

In the case of the CP one it's 90% effective in children who get one dose and higher if getting a second dose as the HSE recommends.

Advertisement