Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

downlighter help

Options
  • 02-10-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

i have the ****e 240 volt lights i want to swap them for 12v downlights do i need a transformer for every light and do i need dimmer switches :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

not neccessarily, if you get a 60w transformer it will do 3x20w bulbs.

the problem however is that you will need to wire the output from the sec side of the traffo up to each 20w bulb,and also the primary side to the fixed wiring of each light, can be a bit of hassle but by no means impossible, one transformer per light is a much easier but more expensive solution, in the long run though it will work out cheaper in terms of running costs.

As for the dimmers, only you know if you want them or not,if so get dimmable transformers.

Why not consider LED?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Yes i would change the bulbs to led

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Did someone say LED downlights,and dimmable ones at that too?:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

paddy147 wrote: »
    Did someone say LED downlights,and dimmable ones at that too?:D:D

Whats exactly wrong with replacing his existing 240V downlighters with LED instead? Its only a case of changing the bulbs.

And as for the dimable transformers I was obviously referring to the fact that the OP asked a question in relation to LV downlighting. Dont be so pedantic.

LED is going to be to dim if the OP is used to 50w GU10 type lighting,but maybe he is looking to save money and will be happy enough with the lumen value of the LED, as he didnt specify WHY he wanted to change it was a fair suggestion.

Another suggestion would be to use CFL lamps instead,although not nearly as economical as the LEDs they are a lot brighter and also massively more economical than his present 220V GU10s.

youtube! wrote: »
    Whats exactly wrong with replacing his existing 240V downlighters with LED instead? Its only a case of changing the bulbs.

And as for the dimable transformers I was obviously referring to the fact that the OP asked a question in relation to LV downlighting. Dont be so pedantic.

LED is going to be to dim if the OP is used to 50w GU10 type lighting,but maybe he is looking to save money and will be happy enough with the lumen value of the LED, as he didnt specify WHY he wanted to change it was a fair suggestion.

Another suggestion would be to use CFL lamps instead,although not nearly as economical as the LEDs they are a lot brighter and also massively more economical than his present 220V GU10s.

Maybe you shoud look at my post again and then look at the 2 large smiley faces,and then have another think about my post.

Oh and I know about LED downlights too,I have a post of 3 on them,with pictures aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Paddy gets very excited when someone mentions LED dimable downlighters. :)

Paddy gets very excited when someone mentions LED dimable downlighters. :)

Yeah,I think I have an addiction allright.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sgbrady

1 i want to change them because they look ancient and at the start of it i should of said i wanted to change the fitting
    2 they are not downlighters currently installed they are pendant lights
    3 all i want is a simple stright foward answer ps i know led is better :mad:
    and i didnt ask for a debate over lights

sgbrady wrote: »
    1 i want to change them because they look ancient and at the start of it i should of said i wanted to change the fitting
    2 they are not downlighters currently installed they are pendant lights
    3 all i want is a simple stright foward answer ps i know led is better :mad:
    and i didnt ask for a debate over lights

Listen here,calm down there now.Theres no need for such a post.

Also,if you posted propperly (vague thread title and then vague opening post) in the 1st place then we would know.

Your original post is very vague,at best.You never once mentioned pendent lights until now.

We are here to help you,so dont start having a go at us here,ok.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the original post is a bit vague allright but the feed going to the pendant can be junctioned and used to feed downlighters, and the pendant removed.
    you might be able to fish trough the void from where the pendant used to be to your first downlighter and then on to subsequent fittings,if not then the floor boards upstairs will have to come up if there are any.
    secondly you dont need have to have a dimmer on lv lights, your current switch will do fine. if you do have a dimmer in place and you wish to continue to be able to dim the lv lights then check if the dimmer is suitable, ie max load ect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement