Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barmbrack recipe ?

Options
  • 02-10-2011 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a tried and tested recipe for barmbrack??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

I haven't made this before, but here is a link to a recipe which looks pretty easy - I'm going to give it a go!

On a side note, does anyone know where you can get the rings to put into the brack?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I cant seem to get the link working

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

Sorry, forgot to paste the link in! You can also just google donal skehan and barmbrack and you should get it!

http://www.donalskehan.com/2010/10/halloween-barmbrack/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I thought a barmbrack was round, used yeast and was more like a bread.

But , it seems loads of people use the term brambrack for teabrack.

If it is tea brack you want, The Odlums recipe is very good

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=tea-brack

If you don't have time to soak the fruit overnight, then soak it in hot tea,
    it'll only take an hour, not overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

huskerdu wrote: »

So did I. Have you a tried & tested recipe for one?

• Advertisement

Goodne wrote: »
    huskerdu wrote: »

So did I. Have you a tried & tested recipe for one?

Sorry, no. I only make tea brack.
    But, the odlums website has a yeast brack recipe. I haven't tried it.

Thanks for that; will give it a try & let you know how it goes

Made the yeast brack today from odlums; first time to use yeast, but the brack turned out delicious only problem is that I have to eat it all now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Thats the problem with me when I make it - i will eat it all. :D

gonna try both recipes and see what they are like

ok I made the yeast brack from the Odlumns website last week & again today. Brack is lovely when its just cold from the oven but I find that it gets quite hard after a couple of hours despite being wrapped (its definetely completely cold when I wrap it). The only way to eat it the next day is to toast it. Is this right or am I doing something wrong with it?

• Advertisement

ok I made the yeast brack from the Odlumns website last week & again today. Brack is lovely when its just cold from the oven but I find that it gets quite hard after a couple of hours despite being wrapped (its definetely completely cold when I wrap it). The only way to eat it the next day is to toast it. Is this right or am I doing something wrong with it?

That is typical of Fresh baked yeast breads. Maybe someone can suggest
    a better way of storing them, but they do go stale very quickly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I always use the one on the oldums site, and it has never let me down:) but i never used the yeast one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I was going to do this one later on in the week due to your earlier recommendation. What I have always found with shop bought bracks is that I end up toasting them anyway so maybe its the norm.

Can I ask... when you take it out of the oven and tin do you put a t-towel over it. I always do this with scones and it seems to keep them soft.

yes, I wrapped it up with a towel. The fact that it went hard wouldn't stop me making it again; brack is lovely toasted.

yes, I wrapped it up with a towel. The fact that it went hard wouldn't stop me making it again; brack is lovely toasted.

I prefer brack toasted and hot cross buns so will give it a shot. Thanks

Made the yeast brack today and it is yummy. Still soft so we will see what tomorrow brings. I have never used yeast before so a first for me.

Advertisement