Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donate Blood in UCD - Tues. 4th to Fri. 7th

Options
  • 02-10-2011 6:48pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Irish Blood Transfusion Service will be in UCD next week looking for donors, so please, if you have time, go donate blood - you can literally save a life in between lectures.

Dates: Tuesday 4th October - Friday 7th October
    Time: 11.30am - 3.00pm
    Where: Astra Hall, Student Centre.

You don't need to know your blood type if it's going to be your first time.
    See www.giveblood.ie for more details, and to take a quick quiz to see if you're eligible.
    If you can't make it next week, remember that they have a permanent clinic on D'Olier Street (beside O'Connell Bridge and Westmoreland Street), the 46a, 145, 39a and 3 buses all stop beside there.
    Edit: They're also in Stillorgan permanently, but you need to phone up and make an appointment for Stillorgan (unlike D'Olier street where you can walk in any time). Again, 46a, 145 brings you near it. The 84 will drop you right outside it!

(I'm not affiliated with IBTS, it's just it's not always that well advertised in UCD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Always forget to do this when it's in my town. I'M THERE. Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Awh, just found out I'm ineligible because I've been to Israel in the past 28 days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Got a tattoo recently, no dice for me

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Damn my sketchy blood!
    Those who can, make sure to for those of us that'd like to but can't :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

How exactly do I get to the astra hall ? Yes I'm a first year :L

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

How exactly do I get to the astra hall ? Yes I'm a first year :L

Walk into the student centre. Do you know where that is? It's between the Science Building and the Sports centre. It's easy to find because it's at the end of the covered walkway through the centre of UCD - on the Clonskeagh / Water tower side.

Go in the main doors and it should be to your right. There'll be signs!
    If you were around for freshers week and saw the societies tent, that tent was behind the student centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

seanor3 wrote: »
    Damn my sketchy blood!
    Those who can, make sure to for those of us that'd like to but can't :(
    Same here: lived in the UK in the 90s, so they think I have Mad Cow Disease. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I'd love to, but unfortunately gays are barred from donating blood for some archaic and unscientific reason, even if they get their blood tested to show that it's just as clean as any straight person's. Oh well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

bnt wrote: »
    Same here: lived in the UK in the 90s, so they think I have Mad Cow Disease. :rolleyes:

I've always thought that's a bit silly, but I suppose they have to air on the side of caution. However, it seems a bit ludacris that you could donate blood in Belfast but not in Dublin - it's still going to patients either way!

Was anyone at this today? Was there a big turnout?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I've worked with monkeys before so unfortunately can't give blood. I've only been able to give it once, when I turned 18, and its a shame I can't give it again because its such an amazing and easy thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Thanks OP, I'll hopefully get down tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I've worked with monkeys before so unfortunately can't give blood. I've only been able to give it once, when I turned 18, and its a shame I can't give it again because its such an amazing and easy thing to do.
    working with monkeys isn't an automatic no when it comes to blood donation, i know someone who also worked with monkeys and was allowed to donate, they just asked him about it as in to what degree he worked with them etc

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

They won't take mine because I've got a runny nose. :rolleyes:

I'll try again on Friday. I don't know what my blood type is, but if it's O- like my sisters I suspect it won't be the last time I hear from them...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

I have to wait until the 26th :/.. my iron levels were low 3 months ago when i tried to give blood.. by like half a percent.. pretty annoying!

I have to wait until the 26th :/.. my iron levels were low 3 months ago when i tried to give blood.. by like half a percent.. pretty annoying!

You have to wait 3 months after the last time if your iron was too low, even though no blood was actually donated? That's strange, I would have assumed you could just come back whenever, and if your iron is ok the next time they'd let you donate!

My brother's iron count 4 weeks ago was 13.7g/dL, it's slipping downwards (whereas mine is slipping upwards, and we're twins so it's strange that there's a difference - I was 15.9g/dL on the same day, up from 15.6g/dL beforehand).

I think he's going to take iron supplements of some description. Have you been doing anything to increase your iron count in that period?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

uppishhauk wrote: »
    working with monkeys isn't an automatic no when it comes to blood donation, i know someone who also worked with monkeys and was allowed to donate, they just asked him about it as in to what degree he worked with them etc

Contact with monkeys is a 6 months exclusion, but if you've been bitten (which I have, a lot! It was inevitable with the work I was doing) you can never give blood. That's what they told me when I emailed them and phoned them. Understandable I guess but frustrating for me as giving blood is something I really really wish I could do. You are essentially helping to give somebody another shot at life. How cool is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Have you been doing anything to increase your iron count in that period?

I have indeed.. iron supplements.. just hope they work :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Anyone have any idea how often these guys come round?

Siuin wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how often these guys come round?

Generally mobile clinics come around every 3 months (or 90 days, or 13 weeks), because you have to wait 3 months between donations! 3 months from now is roughly the start of January, so they'll probably be back shortly after the second semester commences, about halfway through January!

But remember that you can go to D'Olier Street or Stillorgan any time - but you may then be out of sync with the clinic that comes to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

bnt wrote: »

Ditto! So stupid. nvCJD has yet to kill me sixteen years on. I undertand why they're wary of course, what really gets on my wick is when people get on my case about NOT giving blood. They won't take it damnit!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Im English so they wont take my blood :(

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I've always thought that's a bit silly, but I suppose they have to air on the side of caution. However, it seems a bit ludacris that you could donate blood in Belfast but not in Dublin - it's still going to patients either way!

Was anyone at this today? Was there a big turnout?

Well their air on the side of caution is testing all the blood before it's given to someone. It's a completely archaic thing to not allow gays give blood, and they can only give blood in the UK as long as they haven't had anal sex in the past year.

Sometimes I feel that everyone thinks us gays just go around bare-backing all the time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I did my good deed today, I feel proud..despite my almost too low iron levels, hard to find veins and near faint :pac:

Still though, I'd do it again. It's so important :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pseudo_23

are 29 year old gays allowed to give blood?.....

pseudo_23 wrote: »
    are 29 year old gays allowed to give blood?.....

Well in Ireland, if a man has had sexual contact with another man, he is ineligible to give blood, regardless of how long it has been since sexual contact, and regardless of whether protection was used.
    Sorry I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Tried to give blood on Friday, but they turned me away due to me my medication. Am taking Lexapro and the nurse said because I haven't been on it long enough that there was a risk that I may have an adverse reaction.

Was quite disappointing, tried to convince her that the chances of me fainting were small as I'm on a small dose, oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

I recently got blood transfusions and want to say thanks to all those who give blood!

On another slightly related note: For anyone who was rejected due to low haemoglobin and iron count keep an eye on this!!!! I ignored their warning the last time I went to give blood and my haemoglobin continued dropping. In the end it resulted in a dangerously low blood count and I had to be admitted to hospital for a week.

Anaemia is a lot more serious than people think and can have a HUGE impact on your quality of life

suzie987 wrote: »
    On another slightly related note: For anyone who was rejected due to low haemoglobin and iron count keep an eye on this!!!! I ignored their warning the last time I went to give blood and my haemoglobin continued dropping. In the end it resulted in a dangerously low blood count and I had to be admitted to hospital for a week.

Anaemia is a lot more serious than people think and can have a HUGE impact on your quality of life

It's interesting that you mentioned that, because me and my brother always go together to give blood every 90 days, and his iron count is getting lower and lower. It was 13.7g/dL about a month ago when we last gave, having decreased slowly from each time beforehand. 13.7g/dL is borderline low/normal for a 19yo male. I'm his twin (live in the same house during the summer, eat more or less the same diet) and had an iron count of 15.9, so it's a bit worrying.
    Are there any obvious symptoms of developing anaemia, or is just subtle things like being tired during the day, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

Are there any obvious symptoms of developing anaemia, or is just subtle things like being tired during the day, etc.?

My haemoglobin was 4.0g/dl which is really really low. Most of the docs and nurses I met when in hospital had never seen anyone with such a low haem level. So maybe my symptoms might be a bit extreme!

Mainly I had no energy to do anything. I didn't actually feel tired or sleepy but I just found it so hard to motivate myself to do anything (e.g. clean the house, cooking, go to shop, walk from car to work). I used just go home in evenings and lie in bed for the whole evening. I also noticed that when I climbed stairs I would be very weak and out of breath. Felling faint. I used to get heart palpitations as well when just sitting down. Another thing was that I had cuts in the corners of my mouth which were there for months and would not heal. Eventually my hair began falling out also (might not be very relevant for a guy though . . . ).

But in alll fairness all these things were subtle enough so I really didn't feel that bad at the time. However now that I'm getting better (up to 10g/dl now) I notice I have SO MUCH ENERGY, all the little things like cuts in mouth, fainting, palpitations have gone, and am just generally feeling alot happier :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Im English so they wont take my blood :(

So far, it appears that the IBTS are both homophobic and racist. :P

It's all a waste of good healthy much needed blood if you as me.

Advertisement