Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donate Blood in UCD - Tues. 4th to Fri. 7th

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

suzie987 wrote: »
    I recently got blood transfusions and want to say thanks to all those who give blood!

On another slightly related note: For anyone who was rejected due to low haemoglobin and iron count keep an eye on this!!!! I ignored their warning the last time I went to give blood and my haemoglobin continued dropping. In the end it resulted in a dangerously low blood count and I had to be admitted to hospital for a week.

Anaemia is a lot more serious than people think and can have a HUGE impact on your quality of life

That's mad, it's great you're better though! Must have been scary!

My haemoglobin was 12.0 exactly last Friday, only scraped by by the skin of my teeth. I'm starting to think they shouldn't have taken my blood though, because I very nearly fainted.

Perhaps I should look after myself a little better! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

So far, it appears that the IBTS are both homophobic and racist. :P

It's all a waste of good healthy much needed blood if you as me.

I completely agree. If you look on the IBTS website there is only ever around 6-8 days worth of blood. Which is not that much, especially considering when we get bad weather (like the snow last November) the supplies drop very low because people can't get to the donor clinics . . .

I know they have the attitude 'better to be safe than sorry'. But all the blood which is donated is cross matched and tested anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

suzie987 wrote: »
    I completely agree. If you look on the IBTS website there is only ever around 6-8 days worth of blood. Which is not that much, especially considering when we get bad weather (like the snow last November) the supplies drop very low because people can't get to the donor clinics . . .

I know they have the attitude 'better to be safe than sorry'. But all the blood which is donated is cross matched and tested anyway?

I know. But I just can't understand how the UK authorities have no problem taking blood from people who lived in the UK during the Foot & Mouth outbreak, yet the Irish Authorities do. Clearly there isn't a major problem with people who are in that category. The same thing goes for the gay blood ban. Straight people are just as likely as gay people nowadays to contract HIV/AIDS. When the gay blood ban was introduced, they didn't know a huge amount about HIV/AIDS virus anyway. The UK authorities (apart from NI) have already lifted the gay blood ban.

I mean I wouldn't ever categories the above as being "better save than sorry", they're quite irrelevant. And as you say, there's a blood supply shortage and they test the blood anyway, which makes some of the regulation the IBTS doubly stupid.

Advertisement