Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany and France while based in Basel Switzerland

Options
  • 02-10-2011 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

I'm based in Basel which is right on the border with Germany and France and I'd like to explore the parts of these countries within a couple of hours train / plane of Basel, as I haven't checked out many places in this neck of the woods before.

Looking at the map I'm seeing places in Germany like Freiburg, Lake Constance, Black Forest, and further away Stuttgart, Mannnheim, and Heidelberg. Then in France Strasbourg, Lyon, Nancy, and Grenoble would seem to be do-able in a couple of hours.

If anyone has any recommendations for these or any other areas easily reachable from Basel I'm all ears.... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 qambathilodge

wow you have travel alot, you are very lucky, if it was me id go watch a Soccer match or something lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

Easier and cheaper with a car/hire car although hiring cars appears more expensive in Switzerland than Germany or Ireland.

Strasbourg is easy to get to. Wine country near there is lovely.
    Gruyere is nice.
    Heidelberg is lovely for a weekend, Mannheim not so much.
    Palantine and Odenwald in Germany are lovely too.
    Black forest is stunning but then again so are the Alps in Switzerland.
    Things to do in Stuttgart more so than as a place to see.
    Baden-Baden is nice.
    In the opposite direction you can head down to Geneva, Lake Geneva and Chamonix.

With a hire car the world is your oyster until Winter sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I lived in Konstanz for a year and loved it. You can get a ferry over from the east coats of Lake Konstanz also.

Try Munch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

wow you have travel alot, you are very lucky, if it was me id go watch a Soccer match or something lol

I don't really travel a lot but I currently live in Basel and want to do weekend trips as France and Germany are very reachable from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

thegills wrote: »
    I lived in Konstanz for a year and loved it. You can get a ferry over from the east coats of Lake Konstanz also.

Try Munch too.

Thanks for that, is there anything else you would recommend doing in Konstanz or any decent b+b or hotel?

• Advertisement
Advertisement