Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunt jacket (equestrian)

Options
  • 02-10-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Im looking for advice on buying a hunt jacket. Ive been to a couple of stores and havent been able to find one to fit over my back protector which is an older one and quite bulky. Can anyone advise where I might get a large sized one at a good price. I dont want to spend a fortune on one as this will be my first hunt....? Any advise would be appreciated!! Also, is it possible to get second hand ones does anyone know...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Im looking for advice on buying a hunt jacket. Ive been to a couple of stores and havent been able to find one to fit over my back protector which is an older one and quite bulky. Can anyone advise where I might get a large sized one at a good price. I dont want to spend a fortune on one as this will be my first hunt....? Any advise would be appreciated!! Also, is it possible to get second hand ones does anyone know...?

Heya

What do you regard a fortune. 200 euro will get you a hunt coat but you are allowed use other types of jackets usually which are often much cheaper. Are you looking for the traditional look??

Cheers

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Got one near the end of the summer in Homestead in Rathcoole for 30 euro, they had a few big sizes as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YouThinkThat

Hi there...I will try there....does it matter if you wear your back protector over your jacket? That might be my best option....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YouThinkThat

I suppose Im looking for something that will keep me warm & relatively dry in November!! 200e would be around the maximum mark for a jacket Ill prob only wear once or twice a year!! Ill try a few places and see how I get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

You could wear your back protector over your jacket, but in all honesty it looks sloppy and untidy. If you're only going to be using the jacket once or twice a year you'd probably be better off trying to borrow one, or just wearing a normal dark coloured or wax jacket for one day (depends on the turn out of people hunting with the pack, though. Some are more fussy than others).

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    You could wear your back protector over your jacket, but in all honesty it looks sloppy and untidy. If you're only going to be using the jacket once or twice a year you'd probably be better off trying to borrow one, or just wearing a normal dark coloured or wax jacket for one day (depends on the turn out of people hunting with the pack, though. Some are more fussy than others).

From a safety and comfort point of view it is not advisable to wear you body protector over your jacket. If I were you I'd consider something like a mountain horse water proof jacket, this will pass for hunting but will also be very useful and functional afterwards. Mountain horse jackets are far cheaper and to be honest they look the part riding or in a shirt and tie!!

Regards

Eoghan

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We were always told that a wax-jacket or similar was disrespectful to the hunt. if you don't want to buy a proper hunt coat, you could use a navy show-jumping jacket for the moment.

We were always told that a wax-jacket or similar was disrespectful to the hunt. if you don't want to buy a proper hunt coat, you could use a navy show-jumping jacket for the moment.

Some hints are very strict, others are more relaxed. I know this year one of our local clubs is allowing black jods as they are usually cheaper and easier to keep. The clubs are adapting to people's struggling pockets.

Regarding the show jackets. Yes try could be picked up quiet cheap, problem is they wouldn't be warm.

twomeys wrote: »
    The clubs are adapting to people's struggling pockets.

I think it has more to do with the fact that they've realised that people (esp those who turn up once in a blue moon, such as Stephen's and New Year's day), are going to wear what they want regardless of etiquette or hunt clubs' rules.

I don't mean any disrespect OP, and I respect you for wanting to turn out properly, despite the fact you won't be hunting regularly. Moreover, who knows, you may be bitten by the bug and end up hunting more frequently than planned! :D

Back on topic: have you tried adverts.ie, ebay, donedeal and other such sites for second hand jackets? Also, your local pony and riding clubs may have a swap shop which could prove a good hunting ground (no pun intended!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Ebay could be a good bet either way invest in a good thermal vest I think Lidl or Aldi did a special on them a while ago.

I don't like the look of bp's worn under the jacket.

How is it not advisable from a safety point of view twomeys? Surely it all depends on the bp being a proper fit.

• Advertisement

Doctor Evil,

You hit the nail on the head. As you say "Surely it all depends on the bp being a proper fit". Body protectors are usually fitted so they are tight to your body, comfortable yet safe. It is also important that the base of the BP is not too long, this can cause very serious injury. Anyway, if the body protector is fitted to the body and is within the Red tabs its safe as in you can not see any red. If you put this over a jacket and the red tabs are exposed then it may not be safe. When a fitter is fitting you for a BP they can not obviously take into account if you decide to wear a bulky jacket for example, so as you can appreciate they may not fit it with the required expansion. It all depends on when it was fitted, if you gained weight, the safety level of the BP etc

Most shops will refit your BP free of charge, so if ever in doubt bring it to where you bought it and ask for a refit.

regards

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Homestea*d in Naas have some pretty good bargins at the moment - lots of jackets reduced...

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

twomeys wrote: »
    From a safety and comfort point of view it is not advisable to wear you body protector over your jacket. If I were you I'd consider something like a mountain horse water proof jacket, this will pass for hunting but will also be very useful and functional afterwards. Mountain horse jackets are far cheaper and to be honest they look the part riding or in a shirt and tie!!

Regards

Eoghan
    seconding this,just a thought but mountain horse has also the bodyguard jacket which is windproof and waterproof and has built in non bulky body protection, woud recommend having a look at this one,but am not a hunter so dont have a clue about dress codes and what not.
    had wanted this jacket last year but didnt have the cash for it.

as the show jacket is not going to be used often,get a cheap make which is brand new or a good condition decent second hand jacket off ebay or tack shops which have ads for second hand gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think a good hunt coat affords an awful lot of protection but they dont really work with a body protector imo. Some people wear their bps over a lighter tweed coat which seems ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You could go with a lighter jacket and wear thermals underneath or a smart plain sweater underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Kind of in the same situation myself. Have all the gear except the jacket but no way can I justify spending 200 euro on one for the amount of times I'll use it.

Probably go with a tidy fleece. Should be okay seeing as I'm all set with everything else.

One other thing, rightly or wrongly I never carry a crop. At least not for a long time anyway. Is it okay to go without one or should I bring one?

That's entirely a personal choice and depends on your horse and how it behaves. I would usually carry one, but there have been days I've gone out hunting without one when I forgot it, but that was only with an experienced horse who's a great hunter. If you need one and know somebody out hunting, then you could always ask to borrow theirs for a few minutes if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

It depends on the hunt and their turn out etiquette but there is nothing wrong with turning up with the bp over the jacket. there is a woman who hunts with us and she wears a navy sj jacket and a kljumper underneath and her bp on top. she looks smart and we would be absolute sticklers for turn out.

Advertisement