Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation & Aircraft Photo Discussion Thread *Mod Warning Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

lord lucan wrote: »
    That is the 3rd one,all 3 in service now.

It was a bigger deal at Shannon due to it being the first flight of the 752 in EI colours and i'm sure also that Shannon wanted to generate as much publicity as possible for the routes out of there. Without sounding flippant it was just another route launch from DUB,the SFO launch had more publicity surrounding it that the YYZ flight today.

Was at the side of 28 today to record her taking off, she looked impressive in the shiny paint job

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

billie1b wrote: »
    Was at the side of 28 today to record her taking off, she looked impressive in the shiny paint job

I was off today so didn't get to see her,i'll have a ramble down to Pier E tomorrow to see her 'in the flesh'. Looks great from all he pics i've seen online today.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    I was off today so didn't get to see her,i'll have a ramble down to Pier E tomorrow to see her 'in the flesh'. Looks great from all he pics i've seen online today.:)

Might take a ramble myself and see if the red-cap will let me up to see the flight deck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Job recently been transferred to Dub Airport - just wondering are there many on here who work there ?

Andip wrote: »
    Job recently been transferred to Dub Airport - just wondering are there many on here who work there ?

Mise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

billie1b wrote: »
    Mise

Almost feel awkward asking as they tend to discourage external talk but just feel probably a lot on here are connected - work out of both Dubin & Cork

Andip wrote: »
    Almost feel awkward asking as they tend to discourage external talk but just feel probably a lot on here are connected - work out of both Dubin & Cork

Ah sure lash the questions out, if anything can't be answered publicly, it can always be answered on PM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I think that advertisement for Airport Transfers/ National express on the side of that Ryanair is awful. Wouldn't it look better if they went for an all over?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

kub wrote: »
    I think that advertisement for Airport Transfers/ National express on the side of that Ryanair is awful. Wouldn't it look better if they went for an all over?

Looks very slapdash....good thing it is for the National Express rather that 'aircraft transfers' (which was my first thought on seeing the pic!)

kub wrote: »

I seen it on Twitter earlier and honestly thought it was a bad photoshop job done as a prank. It looks terrible imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

They're trying hard but you'll never take the Ryanair out of Ryanair;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Does not look good at all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

sully2010 wrote: »
    They're trying hard but you'll never take the Ryanair out of Ryanair;)

Huh? Ryr hardly make a hash of anything - the stuff that people look down on them for is deliberate, to keep costs down and give away bargain trips all over Europe. I find their main livery nicer than Aer Lingus (I guess they're my kind of colours though - love the harp as the main thing). I'm guessing those who take the p out of Ryanair weren't around when air fares were..excuse the pun..sky high. I thought being a snob was a British thing :pac: (I'm a Brit btw)

fr336 wrote: »
    Huh? Ryr hardly make a hash of anything - the stuff that people look down on them for is deliberate, to keep costs down and give away bargain trips all over Europe. I find their main livery nicer than Aer Lingus (I guess they're my kind of colours though - love the harp as the main thing). I'm guessing those who take the p out of Ryanair weren't around when air fares were..excuse the pun..sky high. I thought being a snob was a British thing :pac: (I'm a Brit btw)

I wasn't taking the piss out of them I fly Ryanair a fair bit and never once had an issue. I was merely joking that they are going after this new slicker image and trying to get more business passengers etc and they then plaster one of their planes with a tacky vinyl wrap. Doesn't bother me personally but its a bit of a mismatch with the new direction they are going imo.

sully2010 wrote: »
    I wasn't taking the piss out of them I fly Ryanair a fair bit and never once had an issue. I was merely joking that they are going after this new slicker image and trying to get more business passengers etc and they then plaster one of their planes with a tacky vinyl wrap. Doesn't bother me personally but its a bit of a mismatch with the new direction they are going imo.

I never understood why each and every aircraft isn't branded with advertising - the amount of money they'd make? Must be some good reason/s I suppose. But yes, I agree, I don't actually like the advertising.

I never understood why each and every aircraft isn't branded with advertising - the amount of money they'd make? Must be some good reason/s I suppose. But yes, I agree, I don't actually like the advertising.

I believe there are disadvantages for both customer and airline, read an article a few years back and companies who did advertise on the fuselage felt they were not getting a good ROI and hitting their target markets. It may also only be suited to companies that have some connection to travel/airports etc like say a hertz or the airport transfers one they have now.

That being said the ROI may be a lot better now that it is a section of fuselage vinyl wrapped rather than the full aircraft painted(which I think was the case with the old Ryanair branded jets). This is obviously much more cost effective for Ryanair too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Don't forget that one of any airlines own main advertising platforms is it's own aircraft painted in its own livery. Because aircraft spend a particularly high percentage of time in the sky not visible it isn't always considered a desirable medium for other companies to advertise.

One plus on the Ryanair advert plane - it's only painted that way on one side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Regarding Tengers 787 and 747-800 pics... I've never been in the presence of the 787 yet but I can't get over how quiet the 748s are when taking off. I have often been close enough to them doing some work in STN out on the ramp and you kind of doubt your own hearing when you see the GSS birds power off into the sky making only a whisper compared to their older versions... It's almost eerie in a way as you expect so much noise associated with something so big and powerful... Cool pics btw.

Strumms wrote: »
    Regarding Tengers 787 and 747-800 pics... I've never been in the presence of the 787 yet but I can't get over how quiet the 748s are when taking off. I have often been close enough to them doing some work in STN out on the ramp and you kind of doubt your own hearing when you see the GSS birds power off into the sky making only a whisper compared to their older versions... It's almost eerie in a way as you expect so much noise associated with something so big and powerful... Cool pics btw.

Just lucky to spot each of them. Haven't had the pleasure of being in close proximity to hear either take-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Chatting to a friend who just checked out on the 744/748 after coming from the A320, he was telling me about standing in HongKong about to do his final check flight and the sense of awe that he had knowing that the -8F weighed around 445,000k and had a planned landing weight of 335,000k (or similar) and yet when he went to takeoff, they were airborne in a little over half the runway. The only downside that he had about the -8F versus the -400 was that the -8F wing is more rigid in cruise and isn't as smooth a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012

EI-ACA crahsed on 18/6/1946 so that one is a bit before even my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Kenny2012 wrote: »
    EI-ACA crahsed on 18/6/1946 so that one is a bit before even my time.

I know, I've only managed to find two grainy photos of her :( am sure there must be some sitting in collections out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Credit to richyspeedbird on Instagram

http://instagram.com/p/obyIC8HFhM/

If you search for the location in Google Earth you'll find that it's 5nm from the RW34 threshold - what was it doing so low so far from touchdown?

PapaQuebec wrote: »
    If you search for the location in Google Earth you'll find that it's 5nm from the RW34 threshold - what was it doing so low so far from touchdown?

Given the location I'm going to guess that the pic was taken at last year's flightfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

One of the air corps AW139's landed in Ringsend park during Flightfest so possibly it was taken from that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There was a helicopter at something like 2500 iirc all during the fly pasts. I'm pretty sure I remember it being mentioned as a photo/film platform somewhere in the flightfest threads.

You can see it in the background below the the PVC9 on the right in this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86554009&postcount=90
    and in the background of the 2nd pic here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86555988&postcount=107
    also: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86559261&postcount=127

tricky D wrote: »
    There was a helicopter at something like 2500 iirc all during the fly pasts. I'm pretty sure I remember it being mentioned as a photo/film platform somewhere in the flightfest threads....
    You can clearly see the photo chopper above the Catalina. It had a camera mounted below and also had a photographer sitting beside the open door (Frank Grealish?)

9765535384_e6992a0bd9_s.jpgPBY-5 Catalina at FlightFest by tearbringer, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Brians Collection

I am having difficulty uploading photos from flikr any suggestions appreciated.I have also tried the steps in the photography section but to no avail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

you need 50 posts to post a photo here

Advertisement