Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experimental Road Layout - Mallow

Options
  • 02-10-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭

I've been regularly travelling Limerick - Cork for last few weeks and I'm wondering about the experimental road layout outside Mallow. From what I can remember, its been there about 10 yrs now - I guess at some point we'll be told the results of the experiment :D:D . Anyone know its purpose/history? I haven't come across it anywhere else in the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The experiment was a failure I believe - despite the layout being widely used across Scandanavia, it seems Irish drivers lacked the basic competence to be able to use it and it won't be rolled out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

that and the wire type barriers in the middle were banned in plenty of countries due to the risk of dicing motorcyclists if they come off at speed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Personally I found the road hard to use by night with rthe reflection/shadows against the bollards.

Also too often seen people overtaking shockingly close to the end of double lane:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The amount of times it was knocked should have showed Irish drivers just didn't get it. NRA thought it was a cheap way of turning two way single lane roads into dual carriageways on the cheap.

I commuted that route daily for years, before and after the layout change. The accident rate on that stretch went through the roof in the year after it opened. As stated, it's a good idea, but many drivers couldn't use it right. The main offenders (and I still see them at it) try to overtake just one more vehicle as the fast lane disappears and they run out of road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I think it has improved after the recent changes. Now drivers have to change lanes to drive in the right lane, so there are less people driving in it for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭caddy2

yes its definitely more difficult to drive on at night time, i think, foliage - like what is on the road out of limerick would be better - blocking the car lights from the other side of the dual carriage way and also a little more appealing.
    i also definitley agree the behaviour of road users on the cork mallow road can be erratic especially when someone is determined to pass out on the outside lane even though the arrows on the road are indicating that the lanes will be merging into a single lane - causing the person who is being passed out to slam on the breaks to allow people in front of them

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I commuted that route daily for years, before and after the layout change. The accident rate on that stretch went through the roof in the year after it opened. As stated, it's a good idea, but many drivers couldn't use it right. The main offenders (and I still see them at it) try to overtake just one more vehicle as the fast lane disappears and they run out of road.

Yeah, this happens all the time on it! See it more and more!
    Sabre Man wrote: »
    I think it has improved after the recent changes. Now drivers have to change lanes to drive in the right lane, so there are less people driving in it for no good reason.

I really like that change on it, starting near the turn for Whitechurch and climbing. They had that out the Mallow- Newtwopothouse stretch of the Mallow road, starting just after the hospital, more roads should have it. Change the name from slow lane to overtaking lane as well - drove me nuts when people were in the overtaking lane driving slowly, people would nearly undertake them they were that slow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes, it is a big improvement that should be copied elsewhere!

Have you also noticed that some of the associated ghost islands have a dotted line on one side meaning that you can in fact drive through them? A rarity in Ireland I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

corktina wrote: »
    Have you also noticed that some of the associated ghost islands have a dotted line on one side meaning that you can in fact drive through them? A rarity in Ireland I think.

That's not the only strange thing on that road - the sign posts "slow lane ending" always bemuse me, just go over to the motoring forum and they'll try and tell you that term doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cian92 wrote: »
    That's not the only strange thing on that road - the sign posts "slow lane ending" always bemuse me, just go over to the motoring forum and they'll try and tell you that term doesn't exist.

Surely it should be overtaking lane ending??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭mossie

I have actually seen people tring to overtake on the single lanes and I had a guy come up behind me and start blowing and flashing to get past. I was doing 100km/h at the time and really had no place to go anyway. No road layout will solve the moron problem.

mossie wrote: »
    I have actually seen people tring to overtake on the single lanes and I had a guy come up behind me and start blowing and flashing to get past. I was doing 100km/h at the time and really had no place to go anyway. No road layout will solve the moron problem.

A true word has never been spoken!

Advertisement