Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost phone - how to find.

Options
  • 02-10-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I've done one of the most stupid things that can be done.
    I left my mobile on my cars roof, and drove off.

It can be still lying somewhere on the road within distance of about 3km.

When I ring it from other phone, there is "no answer signal", so it means that phone is still on and works (otherwise voicemail would answer).

I took my bike and while ringing my phone permanently i rode the whole distance listening for my phone ringing somewhere in the shrubs, but no joy.

Maybe phone got damaged when it fell, and it's not ringing anymore.
    Anyway it's definitely still on.

Is there any chance I can ring my network operator to locate my phone and give me exact GPS position of it so I can know exactly where to search?

I tried ringing them (tesco mobile) but their helpline is closed at that time on sunday.

Any help appriciated.

PS. Phone was old one (SE V600i) probably about 5 years old. But I loved it, and had all my phone book contacts there, which is very important for me. Battery was full, so it will probably be still on for another few days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

CiniO wrote: »
    Is there any chance I can ring my network operator to locate my phone and give me exact GPS position of it so I can know exactly where to search?

Do you have gps on the phone? If not then it cant be located by gps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

As far as im aware no network can provide that information.

Even phones with phone tracking software arent always able to pin point the exact location. Only the approximate location withing a certain number of meters (usually in 100's)

Pin pointing by cell tower data is sometimes accurate within km's. So goodluck with your search :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Smartphone Republic

more than likely not unfortunately! Depending on the phone you could find it yourself but if you haven't already there's no point in telling you about it now! Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I actually though that they could estimate phone location more precisely with pin pointing by cell tower more accurately than few km's.

Anyway problem solved, as last night I went again cycling over the router in darkness and quietness, was ringing my phone, and eventually found it - even further than I thought.
    It was over 4km away from my house.
    I can't believe how could it stay on the roof for that long, considering I was driving in excess of 100km/h on the way there. At the place where phone fell off, I probably had about 120km/h.

And believe it or not - it still works.
    Just a leather case got bit torn - that's it.

Advertisement