Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged HTC phone returned fixed, but with cosmetic damages..

Options
  • 02-10-2011 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I recently dropped in my HTC handset into Fonemenders off Henry Street to have it repaired - I had trouble with the handset as it would only turn on sporadically.

So it was sent off to the HTC outlet to have it fixed as Fonemenders don't carry out repairs on HTC phones.

I called in 2 weeks later to collect it. From the outset it was fine, and the problem was corrected (motherboard replacement).

I was happy with the repairs as I walked from the shop, but 10 minutes later, upon further inspection, the phone had a very noticeable dent/pock-mark on the side of it, and the back cover would not close. Whatever tool was used left this mark on the side and strained the hinge where the cover closes correctly.

I find this a really large oversight on HTC to return a phone who's cover doesn't close correctly, not to mention the pock-marked/damaged side.

I returned to Fonemenders to let them know of this newly discovered defect and he suggested to send it off again and leave them with a note as to the new problem. It was sent off again on Friday.

I found this to be a somewhat unfortunate occurance and a little annoying, but I'm wondering if anyone might have had a similar experience or know of anything regarding dealing with HTC.

The damage was caused at their end (going on the fact that Fonemenders don't deal with these phones and didn't touch it only to post it to HTC), but I'm now beginning to see that it might be hard to furnish them with irrefutable evidence that this is the case. They can always argue that the phone was like that. Which I hope they won't.

I do have previous pictures of the phone, but again it could be argued that the pictures are of another handset that isn't cosmetically damaged.

What might be my recourse here? Would HTC honour the fact that it could only have been damaged there? Should they make the necessary repairs this time round and should I not be satisfied with it's cosmetic appearance upon its return would it be feasible to ask them to correct it/replace the phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

its unlikely that they will be of any help to you.

I had a similar problem with my HTC Desire but it was small scratches which I noticed, I spotted it seconds after leaving the shop and went back in and pointed it out.

O2 said you can send it back and wait another 3 weeks ...or accept it as it is...because at the moment its your word against theirs.

I decided to just accept it...but...several weeks later the cover started blistering in two locations ....there was no explanation - but HTC/Fonemenders wanted to say it was cosmetic damage and were charging me €50 to repair it, I told them to tell me how it happened and how I can stop it happening again - they phoned me back a day or two later saying they will cover it under warranty.

A bit of a tip - check your internet, see if you can access secure (https) websites - if you cant - send it back to HTC to get repaired.... when you get it back ...the same issue will happen within a few weeks ... send it back again .... and after the third time sending it back (at least with o2) ...you can demand a new phone or refund.

I will be sending mine back soon (this will be my third time) - its a common fault with HTC desire but HTC do not want to recall or refund everyone who purchased them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Thanks for your reply.

Did you spot your defect(s) when you had just purchased your phone or was it later down the line?

Mine is still covered under warranty, so I won't have to pay to have it fixed, and it's not an issue with water etc or such that might cause my warranty to be void.

I'm a little hazy on your tip regarding the access to secure websites. Is that just a measure as a last resort to acquire a new handset as they will be more responsive to that particular difficulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

I sent my Desire off to have the motherboard replaced and when i got it back the invisibleshield i had on it was half ripped off and stretched so there was no chance to get it back on propperly, i was fuming over it, but left it as i wasn't too fond of the invisibleshield anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Personally i stongly dislike fonemenders. They broke my screen dont know how but it wouldnt switch on. Never am i trusting them with my phone or any of my phones for that matter again. :mad:

Yeah, it seems there's a lot of heavyhandedness when it comes to phone staff/repair merchants mending phones that aren't theirs. When I first got my phone a staff member in 3 needed to take out my sim and replace it(a laughable solution to 'problems' imo. No other network resorts to this action straight away like 3 do) and did it in a fashion so aggressively I had to insist I open the back cover myself.
    Anyway, hopefully I'll have it back soon and I'll post up a summary of what they decided to do. I'm beginning to feel at this stage that it should be something I should follow up with intent and not let them fob me off with weak excuses and substandard work. I've a feeling I won't be very successful.

• Advertisement

So...

I got a call back from Fonemenders today and he's furnished me with the stance HTC are taking on the condition of the phone.

He was speaking with the head of the department who is keen to refute the claim I'm making about the condition the phone was returned.

I protested to this, naturally, and the polite Fonemenders chap decided to call them back again and stress that his staff (Fonemenders) did note with me, upon receipt, the back cover not closing and dent at the side. Surely no phone would be returned in this condition.

So then the Fonemenders agent called them again declaring this, and he alluded to me that he got a rather sheepish, turnaround regarding the back cover/dent from HTC. The HTC representative did then mention that the back cover needed to be forced down to close it. This wasn't the case when I initially dropped it off at Fonemenders (as they would have made a full note of the condition ie if the back cover was hanging off).

Anyway, not to harp on about it, the Fonemenders agent thought the most recent call on the matter was a bit fishy and he told me that he'd inspect the phone on it's arrival back.

What do you lads think about the actions of HTC? Judging by the Fonemenders reaction to the conversation there might seem to be some kind of cover up for their incompetence in fixing the phone.

I'm hoping they hold their hands up about it and not turn belligerent and obtuse about the matter. If it goes down that road then it's difficult to play the layman vs big company clout and I might not get any satisfaction here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I was watching watchdog (UK consumer affairs programme) and there was a story on repaired HTC phone having cosmetic damages (and other general cock ups)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2011/10/htc_phones.html

Seems that you are not alone. Maybe you could mention this to phonemenders/HTC?

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I was watching watchdog (UK consumer affairs programme) and there was a story on repaired HTC phone having cosmetic damages (and other general cock ups)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2011/10/htc_phones.html

Seems that you are not alone. Maybe you could mention this to phonemenders/HTC?

Thanks for that. Interesting read. I'm sure HTC are well aware of it. I'll need to get a more immediate line of contact with HTC rather than passing on my concerns to Fonemenders to relay it.

I might have a peek at the Facebook page and see what's been posted up there.

Well the outcome was a positive one, just to update here..

HTC examined pictures I sent on and concluded the damage was done by the Irish menders for HTC (SBE, which had me a pains to find out their name. For some reason Fonemenders wouldn't disclose the name of the company. HTC were more than happy to tell me and give me information)

They had the phone picked up by courier, another phone was given as replacement, and I had it back within 6 working days or so. They have a really good customer service too.

They didn't replace the back cover (which was also damaged by SBE) so I just contacted them again about it and they are now sending on another new one. No questions asked. No hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

allen175 wrote: »
    I sent my Desire off to have the motherboard replaced and when i got it back the invisibleshield i had on it was half ripped off and stretched so there was no chance to get it back on propperly, i was fuming over it, but left it as i wasn't too fond of the invisibleshield anyway.

Same thing here - had a mint Nexus returned by HTC with a blister under the Invisible shield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Sent DHD back for repair and it can back "fixed".... Also had the factory screen protector removed which was attempted to be put back.. also noticed the battery door broken. They must have ripped it off. All this I noticed while still in the carphone warehouse.

They contacted the repair shop who agreed to fix both, but I had to return the phone... Meaning being without phone again for up to 14 days.

Haven't decided to return it yet!

Advertisement