Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fracking on the North Coast?

Options
  • 02-10-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭

http://limavady.thechronicle.uk.com/articles/news/23373/fracking-fears-for-north-coast/

A licence has been granted which could see a highly controversial method of gas extraction - "fracking" - coming to the North Coast, the Chronicle can exclusively reveal this week. Hydraulic Fracturing or 'Fracking' is a process of natural gas mining which has attracted much media attention across the United States following the release of 'Gasland' - a documentary about fracking in Midwest America which won the top award at the Sundance Film Festival in 2010. The film documents local environmental devastation, including shocking scenes of residents setting water from their kitchen taps alight after gas polluted the local water table.
    Fracking has now been banned in France, South Africa, areas of Germany and the USA.

Bad news...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

NAW it'll bring in more money for the folk so that the economy can improve

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

owenc wrote: »
    NAW it'll bring in more money for the folk so that the economy can improve

Foreign companies? That won't help the local economy very much. I'm more concerned about the environmental implications on the north coast.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Foreign companies? That won't help the local economy very much. I'm more concerned about the environmental implications on the north coast.

A london based company is not a foreign company and you bloody well know that. :rolleyes:

A london based company is not a foreign company and you bloody well know that. :rolleyes:

Either way, how is that going to help the local economy? ...and you don't seem to be too concerned about the environmental implications...

Because it's going to bring industry to the local area and it'll bring more money ij... And no I don't care I'm not an environmentalist why bother worrying about something that's going to happen in 300 years time when ill be dead? I'd rather enjoy my life..

• Advertisement

I don't care I'm not an environmentalist why bother worrying about something that's going to happen in 300 years time when ill be dead? I'd rather enjoy my life..

300 years? You obviously don't know anything about fracking. Here, have a read - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing

Advertisement