Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another series of 'Arrested Development'... and a movie!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is anyone else worried that this will let you down? I am actually so excited, but if the new season isn't great I actually thing I might cry :P

I am definitely but there's a significant chance it'll be amazing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm quietly optimistic although two things worry me:

a) since each episode appears to be focused on a specific character (understandable given some of their booming movie careers), I'm worried there won't be many of those excellent scenes / interactions between family.
    b) to say Mitch Hurwitz's output since AD ended is disappointing would be an understatement. 'Sit Down, Shut Up' and 'Running Wilde' were both atrocious!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well it was ok, but sure we'll see; I think the wisest attitude to take is that after all this time, it simply won't hit the heights of the original run - few TV comedies could in general - but if it has some funny moments that are at least as amusing as the inferior season 3, and decent closure for the characters that'll be enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By the by, in case people missed it on that previous EW.com link, there were also bunch of new images released, showcasing the characters; looks like Lucille 2, Barry Zuckercorn et al are back too:
    http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20693825,00.html

Good lord Maeby's all grown up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭steve_r

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well it was ok, but sure we'll see; I think the wisest attitude to take is that after all this time, it simply won't hit the heights of the original run - few TV comedies could in general - but if it has some funny moments that are at least as amusing as the inferior season 3, and decent closure for the characters that'll be enough.

This. I flew through Seasons 1&2, slowed down on Season 3.

I'm just looking forward to seeing where they go from here. Maybe they won't hit previous heights, but I reckon it'll still be better than most shows out there.

I heard a good comment recently on a podcast regarding a recent simpsons episode, saying that the episode was average from a simpsons perspective, but very good from a tv show perspective.

• Advertisement

Will Bob Loblaw's Law Blog be relaunched?

steve_r wrote: »
    This. I flew through Seasons 1&2, slowed down on Season 3.

I'm just looking forward to seeing where they go from here. Maybe they won't hit previous heights, but I reckon it'll still be better than most shows out there.

I heard a good comment recently on a podcast regarding a recent simpsons episode, saying that the episode was average from a simpsons perspective, but very good from a tv show perspective.
    I would disagree about The Simpsons, their parodies (when they're not 6 months late) are cringe-worthy IMO.

I find in general with TV that watching a show back-to-back almost always makes it seem better than watching week-by-week with a week or 3 (stupid networks) gap between episodes. Just about every comedy I've watched that had been on for a while didn't seem to be quite as good when I caught up after watching a few seasons and then started having to watch weekly. I think it would be too big a coincidence for that to be down to all those shows having a decline in quality right when I start watching them.
    I just don't enjoy The Simpsons at all. I'll hear a new episode was good and I've watched most of the last 5 seasons at various times and I think I made an audible sound due to humour once in all those episodes.
    Arrested Development is different because I watched the odd episode on TV3 when it was originally airing and thought it was funny even just jumping in and out of it. When I watched the whole series I loved it and didn't notice a drop in Season 3 like so many people did, again maybe some people were watching as it aired? Either way I think the all-at-once release of the episodes will help the episodes feel better than they otherwise may have, once they're not Godawful.

I'm just happy to have a reason to rewatch the whole series, been 2 years since last time!

My point wasn't specific to the Simpsons, more to do with shows that set high standards for themselves. Later shows may not meet their own standards, but are still worthwhile.

The storylines in Season 3 didn't grab me the way Season 1 &2 did - I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Charlize Theron as a comedic actress.

My point wasn't specific to the Simpsons, more to do with shows that set high standards for themselves. Later shows may not meet their own standards, but are still worthwhile.
    Yeah I was making separate points about The Simpsons and TV in general :pac: The Simpsons hasn't been good TV in a long time, I don't know why I still watch.
    The storylines in Season 3 didn't grab me the way Season 1 &2 did - I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Charlize Theron as a comedic actress.
    Yeah but this also happened

tumblr_m8opp1vTeW1rqt70s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

248122_10200550601640568_1137552290_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

bluth-banana-stand-london-full-2b.jpg

<obligatory>
    There's always money in the Banana Stand
    </obligatory>
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I would say the Simpsons is about the worst thing on television as the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'm halfway through Season 3 and Charlize Theron has ruined it for me.

Keep going! The episodes bounce back a bit after her character leaves; that part of season 3 is universally panned :(

Keep going! The episodes bounce back a bit after her character leaves; that part of season 3 is universally panned :(

+1 on that. I'm at the last few now and the pickup in quality has been brilliant. Love how they dealt with the cancellation stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Oh, it's so good to laugh again...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Oh, it's so good to laugh again...

They say seven minutes heal all wounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

What a way to start a Monday morning :D

• Advertisement

Haha, oh my, that actually looks like it might be decent :D It also seems like there's a fair bit of interaction between the cast - perhaps the news that they wouldn't crossover with each other that much was exaggerated?

If I have one quibble? The gag at the start is obviously riffing on the Cornballer joke, so I hope the new series doesn't constantly nod & retread the old jokes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I hope for the opposite, it has to refer to old jokes...as well as introduce new old references :D

I hope for the opposite, it has to refer to old jokes...as well as introduce new old references :D

Ah don't get me wrong, I loved the callbacks to old jokes in the first 3 series, I just hope the 4th doesn't overstuff itself with references for the sake of it. But like I said, a minor quibble - officially excited now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I think its self-acknowledged status as a major cult phenomenon will probably hurt it. It'll be a self-referential fan-**** I fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

snausages wrote: »
    I think its self-acknowledged status as a major cult phenomenon will probably hurt it. It'll be a self-referential fan-**** I fear.

Oh Boourns to you!

I'm just worried it'll be just a load of throwbacks to what made the first 3 seasons great rather than a really great season in itself. So far it doesn't 'feel' like a season 4 but there's no way to know without watching I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

The gag at the start is obviously riffing on the Cornballer joke

I thought it was just riffing on the fact that Phoenix is freaking hot. I've burned my hands on my steering wheel before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The callbacks to old/running jokes was half the fun of the first 3 seasons. Just keep doing that and they have a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

So these episodes will be available at 8am on sunday 26th... I presume people will still be able to post them on torrents etc? As in people can record stuff from Netflix, if they can record TV shows from TV normally anyway - right?

• Advertisement

They did that with House of Cards.

Advertisement