Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giving notice to leave rental acc - 3 wks

Options
  • 02-10-2011 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I need to pack in my rental apartment for finiancial reasons.

My next rent payment is due in three weeks but I seriously cannot afford it. I meant to phone last week to give my notice but never got around to doing it. Stupid dumb ass me! But will be tomorrow. So that gives 3 weeks.
    Citizens information says being in part 4 I should provide 6 weeks notice? Would giving three weeks be acceptable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Would giving three weeks be acceptable?
    Only your landlord can answer that question. The notice periods are set out by law so the landlord can hold you to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

UDP wrote: »
    Only your landlord can answer that question. The notice periods are set out by law so the landlord can hold you to them.

I'll have chat with him.

I'd be willing to give up the deposit as compensation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I'll have chat with him.

I'd be willing to give up the deposit as compensation
    You might only owe 3 weeks (if you are already giving 3 weeks notice) so I wouldnt give up the entire deposit - so calculate the number of days to work out how much you owe.

Also remember your landlord might not be aware of the minimum notice period under section 4 and might gladly accept 1 month's notice. Sound him out first and see if he's ok with 1 month.

Advertisement