Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

telling parents

Options
  • 02-10-2011 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Just looking for a bit of advice tbh,

Just found out I am pregnant, reckon I am 6 weeks gone, I have the first docs appointment tomorrow but I am dying to tell my parents. It'll be their first grandchild, but I live 40 minutes away from them and I have work tomorrow night, and am working for the week, so I am contemplating telling them over the phone.

Myself and himself would call up then on saturday afternoon to talk properly about it. His mam would be fine with a phonecall but my mam is a bit sensitive.

Is it a bad idea to ring them?? Im gonna find it hard to wait until saturday to tell them

any advice/opinions on this would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'd wait. Can't imagine not being able to see the look on my Mum's face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 miss_sox

thats what Im thinking, but himself wants to tell his crowd and they are going to be fine with a phonecall, but because my mam has never experienced it I want to tell her first

I'm torn really, because I'm very close to his sister aswell and Im dying to tell her......

Im just afraid of offending her by not telling her face to face

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

I was in a similar situation except my mam lives a 2hour drive away so i just waited till i could get down to her as she would have been a bit upset had i rang. It was her first grand child too. I know its exciting but if you think of it like this - if you wait till u have the appointment and u can get to see her face to face an tell her, at least u will have a bit more info for her. Best of luck and a big congratulations on the pregnancy. It really is the most amazing, rewarding experience ever! So enjoy every minute of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Why are you telling them so soon? I waited til after all the scans etc to tell my parents....

If you really want to tell them this week I would wait til saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Face to face is the best way in my opinion. We told my mam by giving her a card for her birthday. In the card we'd written "PS: would you prefer to be called granny or nana?"

Took her a second to get it, but when the penny dropped the screams of delight and big hugs were priceless. Best birthday present she ever got ;)

• Advertisement

thanks lads, Thanks for the congrats!!! (hast sunk in yet, have gp today at 3!!)

The other problem I have is that I had a job interview for an internal promotion last week (didnt know about baba then obv) Im lined up to do a second interview this week and I need my mams advice on how to go forward, whether to tell my supervisor or not

Shes in the same industry as me and shes a supervisor so she'd tell me the best plan of action, thats the other reason I want to talk to her today.

@I am a friend, Im telling them because I want to, and I suppose if the inevitable happens (which please god it wont) Ill have a lot of support available to me. His sister has gone through a lot in trying and having kids, so I'd want her support as well as my mams

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Miss Sox, Congrats!

I would have told my mam early, but she is useless at keeping secrets so I have to wait to tell her. I will do it face to face, purely because her face will be an absolute picture and want to spend the nice evening with her enjoying the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Why are you telling them so soon? I waited til after all the scans etc to tell my parents....
    i fully aggree

OP this poster is talking sense:)

Think Im going to wait till I can see her face to face, and my dad obv, just because I think the phone is a bad idea, its not like I live in Oz or anything. I want himself to be there aswell. See I work 3 shift pattern and so does my mother but we are on opposite shifts so its very hard to get the two of us together.

Just looked at my dates there, last cycle was 22nd of august so dont they add two weeks to that? would I be 8 weeks? Gotta ask doc today, I am actually clueless!!

• Advertisement

I also have a holiday booked to lanzarote flying out on 27th oct, so would love to have the scan before I go, from the research Ive done so far its ok to fly in first trimester.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

miss_sox wrote: »
    Think Im going to wait till I can see her face to face, and my dad obv, just because I think the phone is a bad idea, its not like I live in Oz or anything. I want himself to be there aswell. See I work 3 shift pattern and so does my mother but we are on opposite shifts so its very hard to get the two of us together.

Just looked at my dates there, last cycle was 22nd of august so dont they add two weeks to that? would I be 8 weeks? Gotta ask doc today, I am actually clueless!!

Count from the first day of your last menstrual period, so if your last period started on 22nd August, then you are 6 weeks. :).

Advertisement