Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buzzards and hares

• 02-10-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

was on land today that always used to hold hares, but there was ner a lupas to be seen. what i did see was plenty of buzzards. talking to a huntsman along the border and they have also seen less hares,alot less,since the buzzards arrived.
    im all for releasing birds of prey but can it have negative effects on native game numbers??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Buzzards weren't released, they've re-colonised by themselves.

Incidentally, I've seen absolutey loads of hares in an area that also contains Buzzards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

what i did see was plenty of buzzards.

Would you mind elaborating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

they were released bout 15 yrs ago in tyrone in believe and have slowly made their way south. i stand to be corrected,im no expert. now i do know the land i walk and i used to see many hares and they've been getting less and less while i see buzzards all the time,more and more.
    other man have said the same.
    and im not anti buzzard just wondering peoples opinion on it.

what im asking is are buzzards having a negative effect on hare populations in other areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

But negative to who? They are a native bird, so any effect they have is a natural one.

• Advertisement

fair point.
    anyone else notice that more buzzards = less hares, just curious like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

fair point.
    anyone else notice that more buzzards = less hares, just curious like.

Weather, habitat and poaching are the main factors that affect Hare numbers. For example the Curragh have very few hares now thanx to a certain type of minority with dogs that hunt them out of season when the young are very vulnerable. In contrast, Dublin Airport is alive with Hares and also has a big population of buzzards. The same is true of Casement Aerodrome going on what I hear from a M8 that works there.

what im asking is are buzzards having a negative effect on hare populations in other areas?

Going on the plucking post I've come across, the main prey items for buzzards in these parts are rabbits, rodents, crows and the odd grey squirrel.

PS: Theres been no notable change in Hare numbers in these parts since Buzzards recolonised about 10 years ago

good points there. just looking for opinions.

they were released bout 15 yrs ago in tyrone in believe and have slowly made their way south. i stand to be corrected,im no expert. .

No - they became extinct in Ireland in the 1880's and then returned naturally having initially recolonised Co. Antrim in the 1930's. Its been a slow spread across the country since then:)

• Advertisement

good points there. just looking for opinions.

No problem bud - there are alot of myths out there as regards the Ecology of native raptors and their affects on other species, so threads like this are a usefull tool in informing people on such matters:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Irish hares are in serious decline owing to changed farming practices and patterns of land use, but their persecution for sport has also had a major impact. The Ulster Wildlife Trust has warned that hare hunting and coursing: "may prove to be the final straw for some of the more isolated populations." In an article on 23 May 2005, the Irish Independent placed the Irish hare alongside the corncrake and the marsh fritillary butterfly as species under severe threat in Ireland. In Northern Ireland a Special Protection Order was in force until 31 March 2008 banning the killing, taking, sale or purchase of Irish hares. Such protection will continue to be necessary until there is greater assurance about the stability and sustainability of the population.
    http://www.hare-preservation-trust.co.uk/irish.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Firstly, Buzzards were neither released nor re-introduced. Secondly, they have no impact on Hare numbers, although they have a proven impact on Rabbits. Hare numbers have been falling for many years now and the taking of them at the moment, for coursing, is not helping. Neither is the application of the label of "game" to them, as the OP did. Changed farming methods and so called Sport have been the cause of the reduction in numbers of this iconic Irish species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

was on land today that always used to hold hares, but there was ner a lupas to be seen. what i did see was plenty of buzzards. talking to a huntsman along the border and they have also seen less hares,alot less,since the buzzards arrived.
    im all for releasing birds of prey but can it have negative effects on native game numbers??
    What other native game species are you concerned about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

might there have been an increase in the number of foxes in the area also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I suspect he means anything he can shoot!

Some people want predators that only prey on species nobody wants to hunt.:rolleyes: Hence some of the recent poisoning of Bussards et al.

Advertisement