Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend schools please

Options
  • 03-10-2011 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi, could anyone help me with info on schools. My son is 3 at the moment but the county im from their names have to be down for the school from basically birth! Is it the same for carlow? Is there any real good schools or real bad schools i should be made aware of? Do any of them provide extra activties, music etc. Im looking for a smallish school as i come from the country myself and hav noticed one school behind carlow i.t. Is this smallish, good, bad, mixed? Thanks in advance:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

The primary school behind Carlow IT is a Protestant school. I'm not sure what their enrollment policy regarding non-Protestants (if you are Catholic/Muslim/non-religious).

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=10917&ecategory=12016&language=EN

There is a link to the list of schools...just have a look at the Carlow area.

I think most of the primary schools are around the same...no bad ones that I am aware of. It all depends on what you are looking for yourself regarding ethos, activities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

I believe the Gaelscoil limits their JI class to 20 and there is priority given to past pupils' families, siblings etc. However they usually have 2 or 3 of these classes.
    Most schools are looking for numbers as more pupils means more gov funding.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No small schools in the town. The nearest "small" school to the town would probably be in Tinryland.

In the town you have mixed schools:Gaelscoil, St Fiacc's Griaguecullen,the Educate Together and just at the edge of the town Benekerry and Killeshin- both in the process of getting new buildings. Boys' schools :Holy Family (Askea) and St Joseph's (which feeds into Bishop Foley N.S)

You should contact any schools you are interested in asap and ask what the enrolement policy is.

In the Gaelscoil it is siblings first and then first come, first served. Past pupil families do not get priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭cwboy

If you want a look, the website for Holy Family Boys NS in Askea is http://askeabns.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tomyr7

Nead21 wrote: »
    The primary school behind Carlow IT is a Protestant school. I'm not sure what their enrollment policy regarding non-Protestants (if you are Catholic/Muslim/non-religious).

This school lets any denomination enroll. I went to this school and I found it to be very good.

No uniforms and a lot of children who attend this school are from a farming/country background. If you are catholic, you go to one of the other schools to do your communion etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement