Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day Cancelled

Options
  • 03-10-2011 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭

Heard this yesterday, is it definitely true? If it is I am very disappointed.There were 12 arrests last year AFAIK, how many arrests are there in town on a Saturday night I wonder?

I have so many great memories from all the Christmas days down through my years in college and feel really bad for a crop of 1st years who will never get to experience the one great unique event CIT had.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Christmas day has been cancelled the last 2 years or so in CIT. Doesnt stop students and nightclubs etc from having an unoffical xmas day again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

mackg wrote: »

Thats just going to move everyone into town instead of btwon earlier anyway as people went to town after btown when it was allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

It's only cancelled in two bars it'll still be a mental night in town as always :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I agree it won't kill it altogether but there are house parties and Thursday nights in town every week. For me at least it's the middle of the day down the pub that always made Christmas day stand out, otherwise it's just like someone took a day out of rag week and stuck it in November. I might be the only one that thinks this way or I may be proven wrong (I hope I am), I guess we will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Corknewshound

Argh like a fool I should have reviewed the new posts - I'm actually doing a little article on this at the moment ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056441404) if anyone wants to get their opinion out.

What do you think of a student patrol initiative in CIT, like there is in UCC? (http://campus.ie/news/college-news/ucc-students%E2%80%99-union-relaunch-student-patrol-initiative-for-freshers-week) Would it make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

What do you think of a student patrol initiative in CIT, like there is in UCC? (http://campus.ie/news/college-news/ucc-students%E2%80%99-union-relaunch-student-patrol-initiative-for-freshers-week) Would it make a difference?

What type of *snip* would volunteer to join the "student Patrol"?

Bishoptown Residents association members make enough money out of CIT students during the year that they should put up with one day of madness, fair enough it has got out of hand the last few years.

mrmeindl wrote: »
    What type of sad bastard would volunteer to join the "student Patrol"?

Bishoptown Residents association members make enough money out of CIT students during the year that they should put up with one day of madness, fair enough it has got out of hand the last few years.

Seems to have worked quite well in UCC apparently with good uptake from normal students volunteering, and they are better received at house parties etc. then a knock on the door by the Guards.

Is it one day of madness though? What about the rest of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

What type of *snip* would volunteer to join the "student Patrol"?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by the above?

It's a good opportunity to earn money not to mention a great addition to any CV.

Sadly, without wanting to sound like a dry fish, I think some people will once again see this as a chance to 'kick it up a gear' to show authorities they won't be silenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

blow69 wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by the above?

What I mean above re. "student Patrol" yeah I cannot understand how someone would willingly give up his/her free time to be some sort of ridiculous fake cop. Its an even more pathetic force than the Garda Reserves.

If you're refering to me saying Btown makes money out of CIT look at all the student houses/digs, pubs, off licenses and people employed in CIT.
    It's a good opportunity to earn money not to mention a great addition to any CV.

If they make some money I get it but where in the article does it refer to them being paid? Putting on their CV that they're a ****** who likes a mini power trip will really help them become shopping center security guards.

Sadly, without wanting to sound like a dry fish, I think some people will once again see this as a chance to 'kick it up a gear' to show authorities they won't be silenced.

I really dont think the email will make a real difference, most people didn't even open the attachment. People will just go into town instead. I believe the loft will be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

What I mean above re. "student Patrol" yeah I cannot understand how someone would willingly give up his/her free time to be some sort of ridiculous fake cop. Its an even more pathetic force than the Garda Reserves.

You're really not getting ther concept. What would you prefer? To be fined €63 for drinking on the street or an impartial group telling you that "hey y'know you should probably dump that cos there's a bunch of guards just up the road" etc.
    They are also there to protect the well being of students (passed out students etc.) and peacefully break up houseparties before the gaurds arrive Any student patrol operation has always correlated with lower arrests and complaints.

I have no idea why anyone would be opposed this.

And speaking of a waste of time, why would anyone willingly spend the entire day recklessly drinking, hardly being able to stand up, falling all over the place and spend all their money on a day/night they won't even remember the next day.

If they make some money I get it but where in the article does it refer to them being paid? Putting on their CV that they're a ****** who likes a mini power trip will really help them become shopping center security guards.

Is that honestly supposed to be a serious argument?

Anything to do with involvment in the Students Union or Student's Union activities is a great addition to a CV.

They do get paid. I know a few people who did the UCC patrol for Rag week 2010 and Freshers week 2011.

Advertisement