Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of throwing in the towel in Australia

Options
  • 03-10-2011 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey guys id like your advice please. Ive been in Australia/Perth now for two months and i am thinking of going back home, funds are getting small and i am finding it hard to find work here. I had a job but the boss screwed me and now i have nothing, Im very lonely and anxious, even though i stay at a hostel im still lonely. There isnt anything for me back home either. Im just wondering has or is anyone else feeling like this etc and how to get on with things and how to change things around if possible. Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Try a different city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Exactly. Get out of Perth, fresh start in another city. People there wont know you so you cna be whoever you want to be.

Going home would be the worst option for a variety of reasons, the main one being the sense of regret you'd feel about it. Get up North to Cairns or Darwin, or East to Sydney or Victoria.

Id suggest Melbourne because I love the city but its horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Assuming you're on a WHV, why not head off somewhere and do your regional work? It should be easier to get than regular work and you might aswell get it out of the way while you're doing nothing else.

You might even get a job with someone who can put you up for the 3 months which would slowdown the drain on funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Barrythe chopper

how would i go about looking for that? ive been using gumtree etc should i go to a job angency then like aussie jobs etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

Barry, thejobshop.com.au , register your resume on this website and look through the jobs. They seem to have a few positions in regional WA and they have an office in Northbridge so you can go in to chat to them.

I'm sort of in the same position. I have a casual job at the minute but just got a phone call cancelling for today (again), only worked 8 hours last week. I doubt I'll get many hours this week either but I'm going to stick at it and keep looking for new jobs. It is incredibly frustrating so I know how you feel. It's no fun having nothing to your name and reading threads on here with people saying they are earning $1500-1800 a week.

Also, if you really are not happy here, don't feel bad about going home. It's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Do your regional work in WA. You'll save up loads of cash, then head to Melbourne for the summer. More work here as it's bigger. You could go to Sydney but I didn't like it. Love it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I just went to wa.gumtree.com.au

Go to "Jobs" and search "visa"

A lot of the ads will be jobs stating that it counts towards your 2nd year visa. You can search whatever you want but that works for me anyway.

http://wa.gumtree.com.au/f-visa-Jobs-W0QQCatIdZ9302QQKeywordZvisaQQisSearchFormZtrueQQlsiZProvinceQQlsnZWesternQ20Australia

CatchLight wrote: »
    Barry, thejobshop.com.au , register your resume on this website and look through the jobs. They seem to have a few positions in regional WA and they have an office in Northbridge so you can go in to chat to them.

I'm sort of in the same position. I have a casual job at the minute but just got a phone call cancelling for today (again), only worked 8 hours last week. I doubt I'll get many hours this week either but I'm going to stick at it and keep looking for new jobs. It is incredibly frustrating so I know how you feel. It's no fun having nothing to your name and reading threads on here with people saying they are earning $1500-1800 a week.

Also, if you really are not happy here, don't feel bad about going home. It's not the end of the world.
    thanks catchlight i am registered with them and will drop into them and see what the story is.It is frustrating i agree i was supposed to stay in perth untill decemember but i think its time to leave now so heres hopeing and thanks for the link Essien i hope things improve thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Bad start but don't give up. There's little or nothing here so keep at it ; it can bea lonely place ( been there done that) but all you need is a bit of luck and to bump into a like minded few folk and it'll all be brighter.
    Hate to hear of folk being ripped off; is ur an hours thing or was it mire complicated( meaning is it fixable:(. If you re owed money)
    Register with a few agencies and put in calls every day; if they like the sound of you and you re upbeat you might wellget sthing soon. I very nearlychanged my flight and came home but I'm really glad I didn't; my luck changed and I ended up enjoying it and having a few adventures & meeting some great folk. It's miserable here too; keep at it; and register make those calls or if you're in the sticks emails to lots of agencies every day; they needto know your name & thatyou re looking hard before they give you the job! It'll be worth it!!!
    Hasn't the SW changed too so that if you go away to work there's a long gap between when you can get money again :(

Keep at it ; it ll be worth it!!!! And try and keep the form up : )

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Yumee

I moved to Perth first too because there was so much in the media about there being loads of work there but after searching for 3 weeks my friend and i decided to bite the bullet and book a flight to melbourne- best decision i ever made! There is way more work here and its a beautiful city with a better buzz than Perth. I would seriously advise you to sign up to agencies in melbourne, tell them what you're looking for and that you will be landing in melbourne next week. You can get a flight with jetstar on a mon/tues for about 200 dollars.. Don't panic anyway. Boardsies do meet ups at the weekends here too, havnt been to one yet but intend to! Hope this helps and if you decide to make the move and need advice on hostels or anything you can PM me no problem. Best of luck to you!

• Advertisement

Yumee wrote: »
    I moved to Perth first too because there was so much in the media about there being loads of work there but after searching for 3 weeks my friend and i decided to bite the bullet and book a flight to melbourne- best decision i ever made! There is way more work here and its a beautiful city with a better buzz than Perth. I would seriously advise you to sign up to agencies in melbourne, tell them what you're looking for and that you will be landing in melbourne next week. You can get a flight with jetstar on a mon/tues for about 200 dollars.. Don't panic anyway. Boardsies do meet ups at the weekends here too, havnt been to one yet but intend to! Hope this helps and if you decide to make the move and need advice on hostels or anything you can PM me no problem. Best of luck to you!
    thanks Yumee it makes a hell of a lot of sense thanks do you know of any particular job agencies in melbourne i should go too? thanks for the help :-)

is there any meet ups in perth? also

Is the lack of jobs really that bad in Perth?
    I'm heading there in 3 weeks and after reading this thread I'm a bit worried now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Hey guys id like your advice please. Ive been in Australia/Perth now for two months and i am thinking of going back home, funds are getting small and i am finding it hard to find work here. I had a job but the boss screwed me and now i have nothing, Im very lonely and anxious, even though i stay at a hostel im still lonely. There isnt anything for me back home either. Im just wondering has or is anyone else feeling like this etc and how to get on with things and how to change things around if possible. Thanks guys

i dont know you but i would like to share my experience from many years ago , i lived and worked in that part of the world for a period of four months in the late nineties , for reasons i wont go into , i returned home earlier than i would have liked , upon arriving back home , i really regretted what i had done , it take quite a bit of effort to make such a long trip , it would be a shame to not get everything you had hoped for out of it , not to sound trivial but living in australia is not like living on dublin , you could almost sleep rough if push came to shove and the weather would not be an issue , id only come home if i was truly ready , have you considered working on a farm over there , you could get a job driving a tractor during the upcoming sowing season on the wheat farms , driving in a 2000 acre field might be boring but its handy work and the money isnt too bad , thier is a company based in new zealand who find farm work for people in nz and australia , i think thier called marvin farms , even they dont place people on australian farms , they are bound to have a contact across the tasman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Hey OP I was in the same boat as yourself, found it very hard to get work...even bar work or labouring. I came home and to be honest was the best thing I did, it could be because the found the Australians the worst people I've never had experience with as well and just didn't like the place, the whole drinking culture amongst the Irish was much worse that back here...

Also I was in Perth, but also Sydney and Melbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

OP
    It's a good post as I'm sure there are many others in your position but hey there is no fun talking about how bad your situation is!
    It's a tough choice..when you're lonely/homesick there's not a huge amount you can do. But as you say there is nothing in Ireland right now and it won't be getting better any time soon. I would try to stick it out. Go and do your seasonal work ...at least then you will have options. You may also be more likely to meet other people. Cities are great but unless you know people or have a social circle it can be tough. Get the farm work done, it will buy you time. Maybe an add on gumtree seeking another person to do the seasonal work with. Explore all your options...no points having regrets when you come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

Essien wrote: »
    I just went to wa.gumtree.com.au

Go to "Jobs" and search "visa"

A lot of the ads will be jobs stating that it counts towards your 2nd year visa. You can search whatever you want but that works for me anyway.

http://wa.gumtree.com.au/f-visa-Jobs-W0QQCatIdZ9302QQKeywordZvisaQQisSearchFormZtrueQQlsiZProvinceQQlsnZWesternQ20Australia

sorry for jumping in what do u mean 2nd visa ? i tawt u can only get a 1 year viza?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

Hi OP, I'm heading to Melbourne in the morning and your post gave me a bit of a judder! I'm a bit old for this backpacking stuff and my mad drinking days are behind me, but, as you mentioned yourself there's precious little by way of opportunity here.

Anyway, i've not been there yet so zero advice to give! But if you make it to Melbourne and you want a bit of banter give us a shout as I wont know a sinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭gaoife

Hi Barry
    Do you have a skill or trade?
    I've been looking for work and i found lots of adds on seek.com just search "6 months no experience" in perth and some call centre work should pop up for you, otherwise try no experience of working holiday searches on gumtree you should see a few adds then. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

If you can, stick it out. Look at the regional work. Gives you options, you will definatley meet people and maybe someone to go back to the city with. Change your facebook location to where you are living. The new groups they have, group by location aswell. You never know who you might know!! Email and text anybody you have alink you. No shame in this at all. Everyones been through it (probably)
    It is expensive living in oz without work but is it any worse than home? Will you have work at home? All the "Doom and Gloom"?
    Ask the folks for a lend if you can.
    Someone said this to me beforewhen I had a good paying job but like you felt a little lonely. Was considering going home.
    She said
    "Its easy to go home but very difficult to leave!!"
    and i well believe it. I did leave but went to New Zealand. Nearly went home though! Glad i didnt!
    You can leave perth if you want, thats the great thing about being away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Hello, i just stumbled onto this topic and i think its an appropriate for me to join in this conversation.

i have just finished 6 years in university and i cannot for the life of me find work in ireland so ive decided to move to melbourne. I have a few friends there who have said that there are jobs everywhere in pubs and cafes and that they have already got a job sorted for me when i land however i only want to work in a bar until i find my feet. i have a masters in town and country planning and i hope to work in that field when i find my feet. my major problem is that i just need to leave ireland and i shall be leaving in 4 weeks by which time i will only have saved about 2000-2500 oz dollars will this be enough for me? i have accom sorted at 175 a week and a job, hopefully, and im not going to lie i will probably party the first weekend i arrive but i'm not going to oz for a year on the lash i am going as i need to kick start my career and oz seems to be the place to do that. however after reading this thread i am a bit worried :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

danotroy wrote: »
    Hello, i just stumbled onto this topic and i think its an appropriate for me to join in this conversation.

i have just finished 6 years in university and i cannot for the life of me find work in ireland so ive decided to move to melbourne. I have a few friends there who have said that there are jobs everywhere in pubs and cafes and that they have already got a job sorted for me when i land however i only want to work in a bar until i find my feet. i have a masters in town and country planning and i hope to work in that field when i find my feet. my major problem is that i just need to leave ireland and i shall be leaving in 4 weeks by which time i will only have saved about 2000-2500 oz dollars will this be enough for me? i have accom sorted at 175 a week and a job, hopefully, and im not going to lie i will probably party the first weekend i arrive but i'm not going to oz for a year on the lash i am going as i need to kick start my career and oz seems to be the place to do that. however after reading this thread i am a bit worried :(

I dont get why you would be worried if you have a job once you land. Unless the pay is ridiculously low that you wont be able to budget over a long period of time. Have you tried to work out whether you can live off that bar staff job until you get sorted with whatever job you are qualified in from Uni?

I've not moved to Australia yet. I'm in an entirely different predicament to you. I have sponsorship and waiting on my 457 visa to process before moving with a job doing what I'm qualified to do. I already know I can live very easily on this wage. However I'm still intrigued by other scenarios to get a more broad idea myself. I do find it odd though that you're worried about finances if you have a job when you land.

Edit: Just seen the "hopefully" bit, so this means you dont have a guaranteed job when you arrive? That would make an awful lot more sense to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

i'm not going to oz for a year on the lash i am going as i need to kick start my career and oz seems to be the place to do that. however after reading this thread i am a bit worried :(

i had been considering upping sticks and moving down under too, but i've heard recently from friends over there that the aussies are about to have their own burst housing bubble and inevitable recession. work is drying up all over the place. turned me off moving. that and the drunken aussie moron mentality.

Hello irish mover.

well i have a friend i lived with in the uk for 2 years out in Melbourne. He has been there on the lash for the last year he dropped out of uni and went to oz he has been very good to me in my moving to melbourne. he has sorted accommodation in a half way house kind of place for me and he has said that he will get me a job as all his friends work in bars cafes etc. but the wages are 16-20 dollars an hour. I have a 20k plus loan at home from college i went a bit mad with the olde education. I have to pay back about 500 dollars a month when i get to oz, well i have the first 4 months covered so im okay till march but im just anxious as whether i can get a proper job that pays at least 40k a year before march in my desired field.

daveyeh wrote: »
    i had been considering upping sticks and moving down under too, but i've heard recently from friends over there that the aussies are about to have their own burst housing bubble and inevitable recession. work is drying up all over the place. turned me off moving. that and the drunken aussie moron mentality.

yeah its all been jobs jobs jobs for so long now its too good to be true. Ive been sending my cv which is pretty good to all the graduate jobs advertised on various job websites but all im getting back from employers is that i do not have enough experience. I have 6 months planning experience and thats their requirement, is this the first sign of a recession?

yeah its all been jobs jobs jobs for so long now its too good to be true. Ive been sending my cv which is pretty good to all the graduate jobs advertised on various job websites but all im getting back from employers is that i do not have enough experience. I have 6 months planning experience and thats their requirement, is this the first sign of a recession?

possibly. i'd think there won't be much call for town and country planning if no one is going to be buying property for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Hello irish mover.

well i have a friend i lived with in the uk for 2 years out in Melbourne. He has been there on the lash for the last year he dropped out of uni and went to oz he has been very good to me in my moving to melbourne. he has sorted accommodation in a half way house kind of place for me and he has said that he will get me a job as all his friends work in bars cafes etc. but the wages are 16-20 dollars an hour. I have a 20k plus loan at home from college i went a bit mad with the olde education. I have to pay back about 500 dollars a month when i get to oz, well i have the first 4 months covered so im okay till march but im just anxious as whether i can get a proper job that pays at least 40k a year before march in my desired field.

Ouch a loan is a difficult thing to have hanging over you while moving. I think it would be wise to budget for the worst case scenario (job in bar, **** hours and 16 dollars an hour) and go from there.

You australian job hunting loads and applying to plenty of jobs before ya head out right?

It's easier preaching this to people than practising it myself, as to be honest I reckon I'll probably be going mad on my first 2 weeks off aswell but you should try keep it quiet on the nights out for the first month atleast. Until you know you can afford it.

My brother (WHV 1 year) came home after 3 months around 9 years ago because he blew all his money on drink, worked a bit but got the sack for being too lazy or not showing up for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

$10 plus for a beer i believe,wouldnt want to be going too mad!

zweton wrote: »
    $10 plus for a beer

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is the lack of jobs really that bad in Perth?
    I'm heading there in 3 weeks and after reading this thread I'm a bit worried now :o

There's plenty of jobs, just depends what you're willing to do. While things haven't worked out for the OP, there are plenty of happy Irish folk here. One stroll down Hay Street at lunch time will show that with the amount of GAA and Munster jerseys floating about.

I've been in Perth four and a half years and love it but, again, different strokes.

Advertisement