Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of throwing in the towel in Australia

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

zweton wrote: »
    PR will win hands down over WHV applicants id imagine, I could be wrong but if I was the recruiter I know I would be hiring the person with PR.
    Im in a similar position and at this stage I think I will just go down the road of 175/176 visa I dont think leaving a full time job here to go on a WHV would be a wise choice in my case.

That's because a WHV is nothing more than a holiday visa., I think sometimes people forget that.

Sure it gets your feet in the country so that you can look around and legally apply for jobs and maybe work a few months trial... been there and did that myself.

But it it still says Holiday for a reason.

Even having PR and no experience in Australia will be a tough nut to crack, most employers are looking Local Experience once you have that under your belt you would be more employable.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I'll let you in on a little secret... We don't live in an ideal world. At the time I graduated there were zero graduate jobs for anyone except construction graduates.
    No offence but admin stuff is experience, it's admin experience! duh!
    I never said I was looking for work related to my degree, I need work full stop.
    When you have witnessed people (yes, happened twice), urinating on the tram, one in the evening time, one in the day time on trams you don't exactly want to get another tram. They are filthy, filthiest I have ever experienced, ever.
    The trains are the same, was on one a while back and it was infested with ants.
    Public transport here is expensive too.
    Trains are a joke, always late, always tracks closed (jumpers) and always overcrowded.
    I live in the city, it's a big city, cbd is approx 1.8 x 1 km, I have no need for public transport.

I've never paid for a tram in my life. If you get caught by tram police, they confirm your address by ringing your friend/flatmate. We all have a fake address we give to the tram police. So my friend confirms it and they send the fine to said address.

Only been caught twice in over a year now. Normally when ya see them getting on ya can get off. And they are never on at rush hours which is when I use public transport.

You want any type of work? Gimme a break mate. There is over 4 million ppl living in Melbourne. Most of them have jobs..... And you say you cant find work? You are nto trying hard enough. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

dave3004 wrote: »
    I've never paid for a tram in my life. If you get caught by tram police, they confirm your address by ringing your friend/flatmate. We all have a fake address we give to the tram police. So my friend confirms it and they send the fine to said address.

Only been caught twice in over a year now. Normally when ya see them getting on ya can get off. And they are never on at rush hours which is when I use public transport.

You want any type of work? Gimme a break mate. There is over 4 million ppl living in Melbourne. Most of them have jobs..... And you say you cant find work? You are nto trying hard enough. Simple.

Mod Please shut up, we are paying for your tram ride via taxes.

Hussey.

let me help you out.

Moving city, during a financial global crisis is not only emotionally challenging but financially it is extremely difficult. Especially in a city that is as expensive as Melbourne is. I've a degree and 3 years experience and got a job in an IB when I arrived over a year ago and I am still only finding my feet financially. Paying 1st months rent and bonds for apts costs in excess of 5k, living costs and other sundries and you can find yourself broke very quickly.

Why do you think so many ppl return home from Oz early, having spent all their money?

What I am doing, is giving information, which all Melbournians know and use, to people who are unaware of it.

Anyone who wants to PM me in regard to other helpful hints about moving to Oz can go ahead.

Issues such as claiming LAFHA in Oz to increase your take home pay, getting every penny back from the tax office in Ireland for work you have done during the year that you left for Oz and other helpful hints are available.

Back to the point. Getting a job in Melbourne is not easy but there are millions of jobs out there. Just stay upbeat, keep getting out there. I recall waking up some mornings and thinking "im not bother today going job hunting".....Well those are the days you gotta get up and get on a tram and go.

Going into hostels in Melbourne, Nomads on Flinders/Spencer St, Urban Central on City Road across the road from McDonalds and Flinders Hotel on Elizabeth/Collins St will all have noticeboards for backpackers. These include easy to get jobs for a variety of different work.

One of my friends worked in a call centre, got a promo and is still there earning great money.

Another got a job moving furniture.

The Melbourne Exhibition Centre as I mentioned before employs hundreds of ppl in high vis jackets to set up stages/tents and they are hiring all the time as the turnover is quick.

Hope this helps.

Anything else I can think of I will let chas know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Dave

By providing False address to evade the fare you have committed Obtain Financial advantage by Deception. A indictable offence that can carry a term of 1 and a half years in Jail. It will also kill any chance of you living here on conviction.

However as this is the Internet who could catch you?

1 :You are probably called Dave

2: On the 21st of May 2011 you fly from Sydney to Melbourne you will be recorded.

3: You are an most likely an Irish National

4: You will appear after that date 21/05/11 on a list of people with unpaid Tram fines.

5: You look like Steven Gerard according to you :-)

Pull your head in a simple cross check of 2 and 4 and you will spring up like a jack in the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

When you have witnessed people (yes, happened twice), urinating on the tram, one in the evening time, one in the day time on trams you don't exactly want to get another tram. They are filthy, filthiest I have ever experienced, ever.
    The trains are the same, was on one a while back and it was infested with ants.

have to disagree. Been here 9 months and used trains, trams and buses. Thimk the public transport here is safe and clean. Never experienced anything like you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Dave, you are fcuked...but it all depends on a few things?

Are the people that collect the tram fines currently browsing sites such as boards.ie to gain the information they needto redeem the 2 fines you chalked up? :eek::mad:

Or the other option, has anyone that is currently on here so little going on in their life that they would bother reporting this and do they actually believe it would be followed up????

I got fined on a Sydney train and the ID I provided was my local RSL club card...:D

I do normally pay though, well trains, trams...usually walk to be honest. You can get away with a lot as a foreigner. It's pretty embarrassing though, that's why I pay and just always being on the look out to get ready to jump off...

Dave your on the money...when I see people writing about LAFHA and detailed information I can see that. A lot of dumb people here just winge about this and that and write toss about BS regulations.

Someone asked me for phone numbers for site work. If anyone else wants them PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Dave, I really hope you get caught one day. Don't pay the fines and you will go to prison, they'll love your arrogance in there!

Hussey.

let me help you out.

WTF? What has any of that got to do with you evading fares on public transport? I asked you to shut up in regards to illegal advice given here,

Now Mod BACK ON TRACK - either help the OP out or I shall close or give out cards,

This is the 2nd time I said this.

Lads give over will ya. People are out there murdering, terrorising and robbin billions and you's are on a mission for a few quid a week.

Prison? For fare evasion? Never heard of anyone going to jail for fare evasion.

Funny story, I moved to a suburb and was waiting for the lads to get off the train at my stop. They had a slab each with them. Was new house so had to meet them at train station and walk to my new shack. I jumped up the side of the platform and the Tram Police came over.....Illegal entry onto the platform. I laughed. They didnt. 180 dolllars. I laughed again.

They asked me for a ticket and i told them I wasnt getting a train. My mates alighted the next train wetting themselves laughing at me. Apparently I wasnt allowed be on the platform as its a "paid area". Unbelievably juvenile of them.

A girl, mid twenties alighted the train and went to jump the fence. The tram police looked at her as if she had shanked someone. Anyways its very fickle.
    Thats what the world is these days, its political corerctness gone mad. Some ppl see a queue and join the back without even knowign what they queueing for.

Zambia.... :o

Most times, if you play dumb with the tram police saying you've just arrived in the country (please ensure you are putting on your thickest Irish accent when speaking) you'll get away with it.

What we do now though is buy a blank 2hr tram ticket in 7/11. Dont swipe it unless you see the tram police getting on. Easy peasy.

Good luck with the job hunt fellas.

Sorry for getting sidetracked.....excuse the pun but ta mo sceal go h-an mhaith !!! :D

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »

Now Mod BACK ON TRACK - either help the OP out or I shall close or give out cards,

This is the 2nd time I said this.

Most times, if you play dumb with the tram police saying you've just arrived in the country (please ensure you are putting on your thickest Irish accent when speaking) you'll get away with it.

Obviously my warning just wasn't enough - take a break and come back in 10 days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Zambia wrote: »
    Dave

By providing False address to evade the fare you have committed Obtain Financial advantage by Deception. A indictable offence that can carry a term of 1 and a half years in Jail. It will also kill any chance of you living here on conviction.

However as this is the Internet who could catch you?

1 :You are probably called Dave

2: On the 21st of May 2011 you fly from Sydney to Melbourne you will be recorded.

3: You are an most likely an Irish National

4: You will appear after that date 21/05/11 on a list of people with unpaid Tram fines.

5: You look like Steven Gerard according to you :-)

Pull your head in a simple cross check of 2 and 4 and you will spring up like a jack in the box.

Probably born on the 30th of April too!

Lads give over will ya. People are out there murdering, terrorising and robbin billions and you's are on a mission for a few quid a week.

Most definately from Dublin.

Funny story, I moved to a suburb and was waiting for the lads to get off the train at my stop. They had a slab each with them. Was new house so had to meet them at train station and walk to my new shack. I jumped up the side of the platform and the Tram Police came over.....Illegal entry onto the platform. I laughed. They didnt. 180 dolllars. I laughed again.

They asked me for a ticket and i told them I wasnt getting a train. My mates alighted the next train wetting themselves laughing at me. Apparently I wasnt allowed be on the platform as its a "paid area". Unbelievably juvenile of them.

A girl, mid twenties alighted the train and went to jump the fence. The tram police looked at her as if she had shanked someone. Anyways its very fickle.
    Thats what the world is these days, its political corerctness gone mad. Some ppl see a queue and join the back without even knowign what they queueing for.

So it is now political correctness to pay for a service? How about the next time I go see the doctor I try and use that as an excuse for not paying?
    It is call paying your way in society. If nobody paid fares then there would be no tram system. Its fairly simple point at the end of the day and nothing to do with political correctness.

See in Australia there are rules and generally most people adhere to them, otherwise there are consequences. If there are no rules or systems in place to prevent scammers and freeloaders like you from taking advantage there would be chaos. Small things like that are a very good indication of a physique where rules are there to be broken. Then of course people complain about Ireland and the way it was run by our elite and how nothing really works as well as other countries. With a culture of rule breaking in Ireland is it any wonder that the likes of Haughey, Lawlor, Bertie and the many bankers and developers can get away with their actions?

See, you think the two are not related but in fact they are, they are an insight to a mindset of a people who will go along with the "Its alright jack" attitude, yet spend their days then complaining about local planning corruption and a broken health system.

What we do now though is buy a blank 2hr tram ticket in 7/11. Dont swipe it unless you see the tram police getting on. Easy peasy.

Good luck with the job hunt fellas.

Sorry for getting sidetracked.....excuse the pun but ta mo sceal go h-an mhaith !!! :D

Damo is that you?

jank wrote: »
    So it is now political correctness to pay for a service? How about the next time I go see the doctor I try and use that as an excuse for not paying?
    It is call paying your way in society. If nobody paid fares then there would be no tram system. Its fairly simple point at the end of the day and nothing to do with political correctness.

See in Australia there are rules and generally most people adhere to them, otherwise there are consequences. If there are no rules or systems in place to prevent scammers and freeloaders like you from taking advantage there would be chaos. Small things like that are a very good indication of a physique where rules are there to be broken. Then of course people complain about Ireland and the way it was run by our elite and how nothing really works as well as other countries. With a culture of rule breaking in Ireland is it any wonder that the likes of Haughey, Lawlor, Bertie and the many bankers and developers can get away with their actions?

See, you think the two are not related but in fact they are, they are an insight to a mindset of a people who will go along with the "Its alright jack" attitude, yet spend their days then complaining about local planning corruption and a broken health system.

Spot on.

It's this sort of mindset that gives Irish a bad name and ends up in the media back home, the old 'sure what harm etc'.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

lol! Iv been a full Australian citizen since 1993 but have returned from Ireland to oz after 9 years, iam a qualified bricklayer, iam 25 years old and iv a Irish accent!
    Took me ages to get a job because of the accent, iam convinced! See add in the paper ring it up and then get the phone hung up on you.
    I advertised myself on gumtree and ended up working for a Irish lad, and i hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

People say there no work in Perth? :confused: If they look hard enough, they would find some!! :rolleyes:
    I came here on a Friday and got a contact for work the following Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

I just read through this thread, well read the 1st 4 pages and flicked through the rest:).

I dont know what to make of it all tbh, i am planning on heading to oz early next year, i am in construction and have 18yrs experience but no qualifications, my main trade is interior works, drylining(partition and ceiling fixing), known as fibrous plasterer in oz, i have had my own business. I have a good c.v and references, experience is not a problem for me tbh.

My plan was to head to Brisbane as i have a friend there and he has told me that it is booming there, but reading this thread i have my doubts. The job roll i would like to go for is as a supervisor/foreman but i am not going to be fussy, i have no problem in putting on the tools, i'm out of work here with nearly 2 1/2 years.

I am a bit worried now about going after reading this thread, so can people tell me is it booming in Brisbane or where would be the best place to go for the work that i am involved with, my plan is to head out there on my own at first and bring out my wife and 3 kids once i get thing set up, thats if i can.

Hope i'm not hijacking the thread but think it would be relevant info to op as well as myself.;)

Anyone:confused::confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

hussey wrote: »
    Obviously my warning just wasn't enough - take a break and come back in 10 days

You'd get a job easy here...plenty of work for bouncers with power issues

• Advertisement

You'd get a job easy here...plenty of work for bouncers with power issues
    Mod I can see through your veiled insult, if you have a problem with my Modding you can
    1) PM me
    2) PM the other Mods
    3) Open a feedback thread

I won't tolerate childish insults

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Anyone:confused::confused::)

A good friend of mine has been living here is Brisbane for over a year now and has been working in construction all that time. He has no qualifications but around 10 years experience in construction in Ireland and America.

He got work here pretty quickly AFAIK. He came over on a WHV and is now in his second year.

A friend of a friend moved here on a holiday visa (3 month stay, no entitlement to work) looking to get sponsored. He was in a similar position to yourself, had his own business, loads of experience. I think he ended up moving to Sydney in the end, not sure if he just couldn't get work here or what.

I'm sure if you get stuck in straight away you should find something. Making connections here seems to be a massive part of finding work, particularly in construction. I have a lot of friends around Brisbane and the majority of them got jobs through people they met, friends etc. As opposed to replying to ads.

Hope this helps,

Best of luck

Essien wrote: »
    A good friend of mine has been living here is Brisbane for over a year now and has been working in construction all that time. He has no qualifications but around 10 years experience in construction in Ireland and America.

He got work here pretty quickly AFAIK. He came over on a WHV and is now in his second year.

A friend of a friend moved here on a holiday visa (3 month stay, no entitlement to work) looking to get sponsored. He was in a similar position to yourself, had his own business, loads of experience. I think he ended up moving to Sydney in the end, not sure if he just couldn't get work here or what.

I'm sure if you get stuck in straight away you should find something. Making connections here seems to be a massive part of finding work, particularly in construction. I have a lot of friends around Brisbane and the majority of them got jobs through people they met, friends etc. As opposed to replying to ads.

Hope this helps,

Best of luck

Thanks Essien

I have applied for tons of jobs but no luck as i would need sponsorship, i think i will just head over to Brisbane and see if i can get myself sorted, i dont qualify for WHV as i am over 30 but not by much;), think at this stage i will just have to bite the bullet and go for it, fed up of this place, i worked all my life with never been out of work and if i was it was only for weeks, its been nearly 2 1/2 years now:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Thanks Essien

I have applied for tons of jobs but no luck as i would need sponsorship, i think i will just head over to Brisbane and see if i can get myself sorted, i dont qualify for WHV as i am over 30 but not by much;), think at this stage i will just have to bite the bullet and go for it, fed up of this place, i worked all my life with never been out of work and if i was it was only for weeks, its been nearly 2 1/2 years now:mad:.

Just to let you know you have until 31 to apply for whv. Think alot of people forget the 18-30 inclusive part. It may be of some help if you are only a few monthe over 30.

zweton wrote: »
    Just to let you know you have until 31 to apply for whv. Think alot of people forget the 18-30 inclusive part. It may be of some help if you are only a few monthe over 30.

33 unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Ok,when you said not by much i thought it may have been months rather than years.:)

Advertisement