Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a small window in a solid wall?

• 03-10-2011 5:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just trying to find out a rough estimate on installing a small window, maybe 400x600mm or so. It's for an area with poor ventilation and the only ventilation is currently by keeping the back door, front door or large front window open, which doesn't suit so the requirement is for a window that can be kept open at all times for fresh air without worrying that someone could get through it when it's open. I'm thinking the small ones you see in bathrooms would suit.

This is also related to another problem where some mould has developed beside the back door where clothes are currently dried on a clothes horse. If there was a window open the whole time it would solve this too I think?

The window would be installed in the back wall of a rented premises which has no window currently so would need to be supported during construction etc.

I'd like to be able to convince the landlord in question that this is a reasonable request that would solve the issue of ventilation and mould and would hope that the cost would be affordable enough for them to get it done.

What kind of prices would we be talking here I wonder? Both for materials and labour? Anyone recommendations of a registered builder who could carry it out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Have you considered ventilation holes and a vent cover ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the suggestion, have considered it alright but I think a small window would be far more beneficial both in terms of light and greater circulation of fresh air too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion, have considered it alright but I think a small window would be far more beneficial both in terms of light and greater circulation of fresh air too :)

Better for light but will cost alot more to do...

Construction wise, what's the difference? Would ventilation holes just be a series of holes drilled straight through and covered with a vent as opposed to a window which would need to remove a few blocks, support and fill plus window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

cormie wrote: »
    Construction wise, what's the difference? Would ventilation holes just be a series of holes drilled straight through and covered with a vent as opposed to a window which would need to remove a few blocks, support and fill plus window?

Some are just some holes drilled with a vent cover and some are bigger with a wavin pipe installed with the vent cover. All depends on how much ventilation you need. The window fitting will be a bigger job. You will also need a lentil support installed over the new window.

• Advertisement

The problem with that too is that the place is an ice box in winter so it'd be nice to be able to limit the amount of air coming in by simply closing or just leaving a tiny opening in the window, you can't really control this with a vent, or can you? Will try have a chat anyway, would be great to get the window, it's a once off cost for something that would be far more beneficial to the dwelling!

Advertisement