Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Windows 7 the new Windows XP?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

bit of a bump here, but just on upgrading an XP machine, if the label on the back says Windows XP Media Edition 2005, and has aproduct key on the same label, do I need to find an ISO of Media Edition 2005, or will it just be a regular ISO that will work? It's a HP C300.

any help appreciated!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

cormie wrote: »
    bit of a bump here, but just on upgrading an XP machine, if the label on the back says Windows XP Media Edition 2005, and has aproduct key on the same label, do I need to find an ISO of Media Edition 2005, or will it just be a regular ISO that will work? It's a HP C300.

any help appreciated!

you would need Windows XP MCE discs (came with 2) to re-install it. You will also need ones designed for OEM channel to work with the HP OEM cert. I will run you off re-install discs your welcome to if you can pick them up in D6 (Ranelagh), can't discuss where to find Windows XP isos online as Microsoft don't offer them officially unfortunately

Nick

Will send PM, thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT should run on that pc, you may have a problem,there may not be win7 device drivers avaidable for all the devices ,on the pc, you may need to download some drivers from the makers website,eg pc maker ,eg sony uk, support ,drivers ,your model no win7 drivers.
    You can check with the website first, is there win 7 drivers for your
    pc model eg, no 5040 lk .

thanks for the input. No drivers on the manufacturers website and I think I'd prefer the more basic features of XP on the older laptop anyway :)

Using w7 myself for a year or so now and I find XP to be more predictable in a way. The other laptop is for someone else so I don't want any annoyances :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

riclad wrote: »
    IT should run on that pc, you may have a problem,there may not be win7 device drivers avaidable for all the devices ,on the pc, you may need to download some drivers from the makers website,eg pc maker ,eg sony uk, support ,drivers ,your model no win7 drivers.
    You can check with the website first, is there win 7 drivers for your
    pc model eg, no 5040 lk .

Windows 7 would require a new license, which would seem a bit pointless if there is a Windows XP MCE license still affixed to the machine. PM responded to cormie

Nick

Advertisement