Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Golden Oriole sightings West Waterford/Dungarvan recently?

• 03-10-2011 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

Don't know for sure what it was but my wife thinks she heard a Golden Oriole this morning. The sound was very similar to the 2 we found here so the obvious question is has anyone else either heard it or even better seen it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Golden oriole are as rare as hen's teeth in Ireland. Only 1/2 reported sightings per year in Ireland (southern coastal regions). It was probably a blackbird that was heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

No doubt, but the strange thing was that one of the dogs ran out to see what was making the sound and our own birds (parrot, love birds etc) started up in reply - sound came from high up in a tree on the edge of a woodland? The other thing is we are in the sort of area coastal next to woodland where you might expect to find them if there were any. While I don't expect it was a Golden Oriole we do get some rare birds "wash up" here including a Hoopoe years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As Traonach says, this is a very rare visitor to Irealnd. Besides that, the timing is all wrong. They are a Summer visitor and the song is only really heard from May to July. Outside that period the screech is very similar to (and on this occasion probably mistaken for) a Jay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Hey William - I had a look for you on http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web?task=BasicBirdSightingSearch

just typed in waterford county and gloden - plenty of american golden plover down your way - and there was a golden oriole spotted down your way too - but as srameen suggested - it was spotted in Summer - May 2009.

but you never ever know though - so make sure you investigate fully!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

I would say the chances were low to nothing but asked on the bases that if one had been spotted recently then the chances were slightly higher. I remember hearing about one being spotted around this way a while back thats what prompted me to post just in case.

My guess is its really a flute playing tramp hiding in the woods.

• Advertisement
Advertisement