Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deal with the loss of mother

Options
  • 03-10-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi, October last year it was discovered my mam had terminal lung cancer, 2 days later I discovered I was pregnant. I have no other siblings or family to speak of. As my bump got bigger my mam got sicker and although I was working full time we spent a lot of time together and I did everything I could to look after her. The doctors said she wouldn't be here to see the baby, her first grandchild, but she was happy with her little framed scan picture. I took early maternity leave to look after her, we had great laughs believe it or not we made the most of every second. I gave birth to the most amazing little girl and rang my mam straight away, she was too sick to come in but her friend brought her in the next day and I've never seen her so happy. She died 11 days later and I miss her so much. I have a wonderful boyfriend and great friends but I feel so lost in this world without her. My baby makes me so happy but I can't help wish she was here to share this with me. I still can't quite believe she's gone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

I kind of know how you feel. I lost my only sibling in Feb and got pregnant in March... Its my first and they didnt have any kids... Xmas is going to be very bitter sweet but I am hoping the baby will help my parents a bit...

I dont have much advice other than take day by day and take joy where you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I did not have a good relationship with my mother but she had a series of strokes a few weeks before my daughter was born (we also have a son) but I was too ill with the pregnancy to visit her. She never got to see her granddaughter in person because she was premature and also because she was in a coma though the last time she woke up was shen my daddy showed her a picture of her grandchild. She died in June. I find it hard too as I see so many mothers with their grandchildren. All that I can do is offer my sympathy. You know when your little girl looks intently, I imagine that my little girl is talking to my mother, it does help. Hugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Kalimah

My mother died young-over 25 years ago-and she never saw any grandchildren or even met any of her sons and daughters inlaw. You must be very raw now but in time you will be so glad she saw your daughter and knew you were well and happy. I wish my mother hadn't missed out on so much. My father died a few years after Mam did but he was at my wedding and saw two grandchildren which we're very glad of.
    Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Thanks everyone x

Advertisement