Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midterm break/"reading week"?

Options
  • 03-10-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Do we have a week off at Halloween? People are saying that Week 8 is a "reading week", we don't have lectures but are expected to read stuff and do assignments etc.. But when lecturers have been going through course layouts, there's stuff scheduled for Week 8.. Anyone able to shed some light on this? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There is no mid-term as such. Some schools/modules have reading weeks, some don't. Look at your course outline for each module.

It's stupid really. It should be all or nothing. Either everyone gets a "reading week" or nobody should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Not really, tbh. Some courses require a lot more reading, which can be hard to work around lectures. In my course I never wanted for one, and was happier to have the full 12 weeks of lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Shonagh

Ah yeah like, I'm not too bothered about it, I was just wondering what the shtory was :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

How much time "off" generally is there between your final lecture in the semester and the first final semester exam? Or are the exams incorporated into week 12?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

[Jackass] wrote: »
    How much time "off" generally is there between your final lecture in the semester and the first final semester exam? Or are the exams incorporated into week 12?
    1 week off before the exams start. But depending on when your first exam is, you could have a bit longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I assume we at least get the bank holiday off though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Breadcrusts

Completely depends on the school.

I know a fair few of the arts courses would give time off around this time as it's generally when loads of essays are due etc, but if all your classes aren't from one school (i.e school of english, history etc) you could get time off from these at different times.

Real pain then if you end up having to go over for just one or two classes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

C14N wrote: »
    I assume we at least get the bank holiday off though right?

Yep. We always get bank holidays off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Real pain then if you end up having to go over for just one or two classes :mad:

Spend the rest of the time you would have been in classes in the library reading, writing essays etc.

Advertisement