Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big metal ball on rosses point beach??

Options
  • 03-10-2011 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

What is it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Pics or GTFO.

Camera comes in handy.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Sorry cant miss it its half way down 2nd beach always there never moves, really big thing. Someone told me it was a defused bomb??or a buoy??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I thinks it's an old sea buoy, because it appears to be to big for an old sea mine. Also old sea mines tended to have metal like protuberances (like spikes) positioned around it. These contained detonation mechanisms for triggering the mine on impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

as far as i know it's an old marine buoy which washed up at least 30 yrs ago (could be more i don't know) during a big storm. it's a real landmark for beach users, sligo tri club use it as a distance marker for swims. i've noticed a hole appear in its wall of late so could be the beginning of the end for it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

No idea what the story behind it is ... We always just called it "the buoy."

Lots of memories of climbing it as a kid ... Funny how it's gotten so much smaller as we've gotten bigger :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thanks always wondered what it was myself and partner have been arguing about what it is. He said buoy I hate being wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭OhYesItIs

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Thanks always wondered what it was myself and partner have been arguing about what it is. He said buoy I hate being wrong :)

I'm guessing, but I would have to call it as a navigational sea mark buoy. Normally used to warn of hazards, reefs, wrecks, safe channels etc.

I'm wondering, would it have been used prior to the metal man (erected in the 1820's). Someone Im sure knows.

With the value in scrap metal nowadays, I'm surprised its still there...

Anyways, whatever it is, tell your partner he's wrong, and get him to take you out to dinner.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Have been told that it is an old buoy that washed up in a storm back in the 30's.
    But not sure. Maybe somebody from the Point will come on to verify. If there is anybody from the Point still left living there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Yep it's a buoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

No idea what the story behind it is ... We always just called it "the buoy."

Lots of memories of climbing it as a kid ... Funny how it's gotten so much smaller as we've gotten bigger :o

The last time I was out there I couldn't get over how it seemed to be buried much deeper than it was a year previous. I wonder if the sands which were on the now non-existant dunes behind, have sorta washed up around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I was told it was Robocop's tit, but this was back in 1988. :D

Advertisement