Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling a bike in the UK

• 03-10-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been looking at buying a bike over in England, and importing it / driving it back.
    First though, I've got to sell my own!

Which got me thinking; has anyone here ever done a trade-in on a bike over in the UK?
    I'm sure there's got to be an obvious catch that I'm not thinking of, especially since I've never heard of anyone doing it!

I suppose I'm just asking because the market here isn't exactly hopping at the moment...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Hi folks,

I've been looking at buying a bike over in England, and importing it / driving it back.
    First though, I've got to sell my own!

Which got me thinking; has anyone here ever done a trade-in on a bike over in the UK?
    I'm sure there's got to be an obvious catch that I'm not thinking of, especially since I've never heard of anyone doing it!

I suppose I'm just asking because the market here isn't exactly hopping at the moment...

Thanks!

Did it myself, although I traded mine in for another in the UK.

Looking back, it wasn't really worth it, between getting it over there, and getting the new one back, it would have been cheaper to sell the bike here for a bit less.

If it's an Irish bike that you're thinking of selling in the UK, the buyer will be looking for miles not km on the clocks and they'll have to put it through an MOT (they need miles on the clocks in order to pass an MOT).

It would be rare for someone in the UK to looking in Ireland for a bike, since they're usually cheaper and maintained better in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

There is definitely more choice over in the UK. Bikes over there are no better looked after than over here generally but its a sheer numbers thing. You've more chance of finding a "Good 'un" in the Uk . As a previous poster said, they won't MOT any vehicle that doesn't have MPH on the speedo and the many dealers that I know over there won't want a bike from Ireland as ,unfortunately, we have a reputation for not looking after them very well. Have you looked around or spoke to one or two of the Irish dealers that buy most of their stock from the UK to see if they can help you in any way? Maybe bring it back as part of their load? They may even point you in the right direction of who is selling what. Good Luck with it anyhow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

My girlfriend just registered her Irish car over here and it's a right pain in the ass, can't see anyone taking that on willingly when they could just find a UK buyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

KamiKazi wrote: »
    My girlfriend just registered her Irish car over here and it's a right pain in the ass, can't see anyone taking that on willingly when they could just find a UK buyer.

Was going to say the same, a friend of mine exported a 600 Bandit to the UK recently and the hoops he had to jump through would put me off doing it. No one is going to buy an Irish bike in the UK or if they do they'll pay way less then you'd get here.

OP was the bike originally UK? It may be easier to sell it then. But generally you'll get more for a 2nd hand bike here.

Advertisement