Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hepl needed badly

• 03-10-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I had my xbox flashed by a boards member a while back and it was working perfectly playing back ups of games offline (i only play offline). And i inserted a back up of Fifa 12 and it told me I needed to update my software so I continued the process and it stopped half way through and gave me an error message, saying the update failed. I tried downloading the update from here ( http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/xbox-360/troubleshoot/update-xbox-360/system-update-help) and i used a usb to run the update, it seemed to work fine and i inserted the Fifa 12 disc and it just gets stuck on the xbox screen without playing the game, I am now unable to play any of the games I was able to play previously!!!

I badly need help, what should i do? My xbox is the old model and has hdmi, don't know the drive type or anything so am pretty stuck :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a complete newb when it comes to this!

Thanks

(Help* in title obv)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I have seen this problem twice now, seems to be on the rise did you ever have the dvd drive replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tglynn

No never, the guy who originally modded it for me says it needs to be flashed again and that i'd have to pay him again! It seems odd I have to pay him twice for the same thing??

Also will the problem come back again in a future update causing me to pay out more money to get it done again?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

tglynn wrote: »
    No never, the guy who originally modded it for me says it needs to be flashed again and that i'd have to pay him again! It seems odd I have to pay him twice for the same thing??

Also will the problem come back again in a future update causing me to pay out more money to get it done again?? :(

Well reflashing is just flashing they are both the same it's not unreasonable to charge as the modder has invested in the equipment and his own time to learn how to do it, I would charge again but at a discounted rate for a return customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Since two dashboards ago Microsoft has implemented a DVD drive flashing routine in their updates that will re-flash your DVD drive with stock firmware during an update. This will remain the case for every dashboard update in the future, so yes - the problem will come back. Modders should reduce rates for a re-flash because the risky hard work (getting the DVD drive key) is done and they should be keeping your DVD key on file.

The xbox 360 keeps a record of what DVD drive it came with (called the OSIG data). If the OSIG received from the DVD drive on start up doesn't match what the console has stored then you can't play any games (backup or otherwise). This used to not be an issue because you can "spoof" an incorrect model to be the expected model when using modded firmware. However, it obviously becomes an issue when the dashboard update runs, reads the OSIG data and flashes with what it thinks is the right firmware e.g. you have a Samsung drive, spoofing as a LiteOn, and then the update runs and flashes Microsoft stock LiteOn firmware onto the Samsung drive. This situation only occurs when the drive in the console isn't the original model, as in it was replaced at some stage for whatever reason (dodgy modder took your drive, dodgy kit fried the old drive, driveswap etc). Then again, the update could have just failed randomly and everything is perfectly normal except the stock firmware didn't flash correctly. In all cases, a reflash is required.

In future, never accept an update without knowing the full story behind what exactly is going to be updated.

Thanks for the advise guys, think i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get him to re flash it and then figure out how to do it myself in future! Any useful tutorials online for newbs start to finish flashing including where to get cables etc.?

• Advertisement

Team Xecuter Forums for a start.

If it's a Phat 360 then you need a VIA 6421 PCI card in your computer (purchase on ebay) and you can use your console to power on the drive if you keep it off live (and you said you do). If you want to use an external power you have a choice of the CK3 or the Maximus equivalent.

If it's a LiteOn drive then you might need a probe, you can make a home-made one, instructions are floating around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You must have known when you got it flashed it wouldn't last forever, how much money have you saved with this flash, you can't expect people to flash it for you every time for nothing.

niallo27 wrote: »
    You must have known when you got it flashed it wouldn't last forever, how much money have you saved with this flash, you can't expect people to flash it for you every time for nothing.

Pretty sure I never said I expected people to do it for nothing. Thanks for the input though

Team Xecuter Forums for a start.

If it's a Phat 360 then you need a VIA 6421 PCI card in your computer (purchase on ebay) and you can use your console to power on the drive if you keep it off live (and you said you do). If you want to use an external power you have a choice of the CK3 or the Maximus equivalent.

If it's a LiteOn drive then you might need a probe, you can make a home-made one, instructions are floating around.

Thanks very much TV, going to have a look into this when I get some time. How soon do you reckon the next update requiring an update will be? I understand I wont need to flash if I'm going to stick to my old games but i'm sure I will want something new at that point! :)

Pretty sure I never said I expected people to do it for nothing. Thanks for the input though

You said you found it odd that you are being charged twice for the same job, how much of a gap was there between your two flashs, if it was a short period, I personally would do it for nothing and I'm sure a lot of people would be the same.

• Advertisement

You said you found it odd that you are being charged twice for the same job, how much of a gap was there between your two flashs, if it was a short period, I personally would do it for nothing and I'm sure a lot of people would be the same.

It's been 4/5 months roughly i think! I said odd, didn;t say i'm not going to pay which i have to obviously!

You should have saved nothing with the flash, unless you've got one patch and a peg leg - YARRRRRRRRRR!
    It's been 4/5 months roughly i think! I said odd, didn;t say i'm not going to pay which i have to obviously!

Don't get taken for a ride either, if you go to the same guy you should not pay full price, more like half price.

As for when the next flash is coming - there's a very significant update to the dashboard software coming in "Fall 2011", so I'd expect it around November/Early December, perhaps around the release of Modern Warfare 3 though that might be a little early to finalise the dash (8th November).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Wow, whats the panic here. I explained OP what's the reason for the whole thing, as I was the original modder.
    Don't get taken for a ride either, if you go to the same guy you should not pay full price, more like half price.

And I couldn't agree more. I quoted OP half price without charging for delivery.

docentore wrote: »
    Wow, whats the panic here. I explained OP what's the reason for the whole thing, as I was the original modder.

Oh, it's you? :D :P I suppose the OP didn't grasp what the issue was with the latest dashboards that removes flashed firmware and thought you were taking him for a fool? It's been stated, you weren't :)
    And I couldn't agree more. I quoted OP half price without charging for delivery.

Perfectly fair :) There was no mention of a discount by the OP though.

docentore wrote: »

Still waiting for you to get back to me!! :)

i just wanted to get a clear understanding of what was going on, so I can (hopefully) do what needs to be done the next time, ie reflash!

I never mentioned you were taking me for a ride, just wanted to understand it in my own mind :P I never even mentioned your name! But now that we are on the subject I found said poster to be very easy to contact with and did everything for me promptly and efficiently! (brownie points :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emad ashraf

Dude the same thing happened to me too man, and i am seriously freaked out. They freakin charge like crazy, for another reflash. What did happen after you updated the thingy again. Did you get your dashboard back. For me every time i turn it on, it goes to a screen saying System update stopped and shows a status code

What do i do dude, do i have to give to the shop and pay the biggie or is there anyway i can do it back home itself

Dude the same thing happened to me too man, and i am seriously freaked out. They freakin charge like crazy, for another reflash. What did happen after you updated the thingy again. Did you get your dashboard back. For me every time i turn it on, it goes to a screen saying System update stopped and shows a status code

What do i do dude, do i have to give to the shop and pay the biggie or is there anyway i can do it back home itself

Ya i'm getting the same thing. Just get it re flashed by whoever did it the first time (or anyone really). I won't be updating in future unless i know i can flash it myself next time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Im going to go against the head here and disagree with people saying the modder should do future work at a cheaper price. Its pretty much the same amount of work unless a LT key was installed or something.

Get out my tools
    Possible warm up console with hair dryer :)
    Open the console
    Take out DVD drive
    Set up my PC for flashing (open side of case, power up ck3 etc)
    --Get Key
    Flash drive
    Test

one step less, and a short one at that for most drives.

Modders are not a charity! Almost any business wouldnt give you a discount if something needed to be done again 6 months later due to no fault of the supplier.

Thats not to say i wouldnt offer a reduced price, Im pretty much out of the modding as a service game other than repeat customers, there is guys I would do this for nothing(they provide drive only which removes alot of the above steps) but i just dont agree it should be a requirement.

Im going to go against the head here and disagree with people saying the modder should do future work at a cheaper price. Its pretty much the same amount of work unless a LT key was installed or something.

Get out my tools
    Open the console
    Take out DVD drive
    --Get Key
    Flash drive
    Test

Modders are not a charity! Almost any business wouldnt give you a discount if something needed to be done again 6 months later due to no fault of the supplier.

Thats not to say i wouldnt offer a reduced price, Im pretty much out of the modding as a service game other than repeat customers, there is guys I would do this for nothing(they provide drive only which removes alot of the above steps) but i just dont agree it should be a requirement.

Totally agree, it's Microsoft that are makings things tough for everyone, it's nothing to do with us flashers, I mean to pay 30 or so euro originally is hardly a fortune, half the price of a new game.

Get out my tools
    Open the console
    Take out DVD drive
    --Get Key
    Flash drive
    Test

I just think it's nice to reward repeat business is all. The real flashing risk, busting a drive without obtaining a DVD key, is no longer an issue for repeat business either :) Still though, nice to hear other opinions on it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement