Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many appointments?

Options
  • 03-10-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi All!

Feel a bit silly asking this as im not even pregnant yet..but my husband and I are trying and hope to conceive soon! (Fingers and toes crossed!)

Im just wondering, if I was to get pregnant, how many doctor/consultant appointments would I need to attend in the first few months? Im just asking as I cant afford to take any time off work between now and christmas as Ive already had loads of time off as we got married this year and also i had some sick leave too. My boss would freak if I needed any more time off!!

I know its very trivial but Im someone who likes to plan for all possibilities! Its more than likely not gonna matter anyhow cos i'd be very lucky to get pregnant that quickly..but I can always dream!! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Here are the details of the appointments you would have:

http://www.welldonemum.ie/A_MatInfantcare.html

The mother is entitled to the time off to attend these ante natal appointments over and above her annual leave entitlements. She is also entitled to travelling time to/from the appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 irishgal2012

Thanks Eoineo!

Just good to know what to expect if i do get lucky in the next few months!

I know id be entitled to time off for the ante natal apointments but it'd be whole days i'd need as I work an hour and a half from home and the hospital i'd go to is another 45 mins from where i live in the opposite direction, so really if i was to travel to and from work for them it'd take me 4 and a half hours just to travel-and then however long the appointment would take too! Wouldnt be worth my while going to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

It's worth mentioning that the first few months of care are very dependent on your own GP. If yours is anything like mine was, they don't even want to see you to confirm the preg until week 12, and then you go back to GP at week 16, then the hospital clinic at week 20 or so. From then the appointments gradually become more frequent (alternating between GP & hospital clinic) so that by week 36 you go to the clinic once a week.

If your work is that far from your GP & hospital you may want to think about how these appointments will be manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I went to the doctor to confirm my pregnancy at 5 weeks, and to ask him a few questions about my choice of care. I had to pay for that appointment as I had not been signed up to the Mother and Infant Care Scheme at that point. I went back to the doctor at 10 weeks for a check up, and had my first hospital appointment at 12 weeks, and then back to the doctor again at 16 weeks.

It might be an idea to attend a doctor close to where you work, as it'll be easier to get to and from appointments and if you make them early enough you could get the first/last appointment of the day (or even at lunchtime). You don't necessarily need to attend your normal doctor unless you have ongoing medical issues and would prefer to stay with him/her.

I'm going public with Holles St under the midwife scheme, and I guess this is why I got my first appointment with the hospital so early. Some hospitals don't have you in for your first appointment until 16-20 weeks, so check on-line about your local hospital. Also, if your hospital has a midwife scheme, they may hold appointments in some outlying clinics, which may be easier for you to get to from work.

My first hospital appointment only lasted half an hour, so if you got an early appointment you could be back in work by lunchtime, even with the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 irishgal2012

Thanks for the advice! I guess i have a lot to think about should I become pregnant!

Your point about getting the first/last appointment makes a lot of sense JDD, if i could get the last appointment every time it wouldnt be so bad, would only need a few hours off in that case! The first app. wouldnt work for me though as I start work at 7.30am!

Im sure i'd figure it out one way or another, even if it meant going to a hospital closer to work! Fingers crossed this will be my month!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The most important bit is to decide if you are going to go public/private/semi private and research them all.
    If you are not going public book your obstetrician as soon as you find out that you are pregnant,even booking at 6 week pregnant limits your choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

I missed the first 6months of my pregnancy so cant really help you in regard to the appointments, but just wanted to tell you that you are legally entitled to time off for any doctors/hospital appointments during the course of your pregnancy, and also travel time to and from said appointments. As far as i know this doesnt interfere with you holiday or sick leave.
    Best of luck and i hope it happens for you soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

if you have Twins, you are subjected to 2 weekly scans, and nearly 2- 4 weekly antenatal appointments, plus anything else they like to throw at you, just get you to live in hospitals.!!:D This is how our antenatal appointments have gone so far, I think I will be moving into the maternity hospital soon before I even deliver...:D:D

Advertisement