Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant question returning to higher education not mature student possible to get grant

Options
  • 03-10-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi im in my second year of college in dkit. I am in a level 7 course which has the opportunity to do an extra year for a level 8. If you leave college after two years you can obtain a level six in college. I am planning on taking that route and applying to the cao next year for a place in cit for business informatics systems for a level 8. I was wondering if i will still get a grant for the year as I am recieving the full grant and I am also getting my fees payed for. i really dislike my course and cork is a much closer journey to home as returning home used cost up to 50 euros. I hope you can help as I wouldnt be able to go through college without a grant and i cant continue with this course. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

First of all you need to be registered for a level 6 this year if you want to get a level 6. If you're registered for level 7 this year you will have to reregister next year for level 6 in order to receive your exit award. So speak to your admissions office now to change down to level 6.

You don't say what you're studying now, are you hoping to get into year 3 in Cork? Or will you be starting at year 1 again? This will affect what funding you will get. As you're moving up to a level 8 course I'm tempted to say you'll be ok, but everything regarding funding has been tightened up so much this year it's hard to say.

If you're going to be starting on year 1 next year again then it's a whole new grant application based on your 2011 finances (assuming you're applying in August 2012), and if you're moving home your parents finances of course are taken into account. Also if you'll be living within 45k of the college you won't be entitled to full maintenance grant.

Huge amount of variables here. Nobody can tell you for sure except the grant awarding office!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 college18

Thanks for the reply yeah its says on the website that i can leave after rwo years with a level six qualification so i think ill be okay for that. I am planning on studying a new course at level 8 in cork ill be far enough still as cork is two hours away from me. I am planning on going into first year and in a totally different course but yea i hope i do get one thanks very much :D

Advertisement