Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock and Roll Circus

Options
  • 03-10-2011 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys I'm living in Galway for the last 2 years and keep hearing stories about the Rock and Roll Circus playing in O'Connors in Salthill....

Would anyone on here have any stories they'd like to share, or what was it that made this band so popular? I've often heard about the queues to get into the Castle on a Monday night to see them too....

If anyone had pictures from back then that they'd like to share that'd be cool too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Never heard of them. Is this a band from olden days?

Google:
    Seamus’ next brush with fame was with the band Rock and Roll Circus, and according to Seamus, it was just that. “It really was like being part of a circus. The band was amazing but it was a cast of characters that you couldn’t script. It made the Commitments look like child’s play. But I learned so much in that band that helped me prepare for the next steps in my career.” Rock and Roll Circus seemed destined for great things however the band started to fall apart in 1974 after just two years together.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

It sounds like the OP is in the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 galwaymusician

No I'm not in the band, apparently they broke up in the early 80's!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 endadempsey

Wasn't it Frankie and the Yolks that held the residency in the Castle on Monday nights? Frankie was the guitarist with Rock and Roll circus before they broke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Was Mike Arrigan the drummer? Frankie used to delight the crowd with an excellent version of Dire Straits 'Sultan's of Swing', and also a great cover of Gary Moore's 'Still Got the Blues'

I remember The Rock & Roll Circus and another band called The Elastic Band were very popular cover bands in the mid 80's. Used to play a lot in the Cellar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

dilallio wrote: »
    Was Mike Arrigan the drummer?
    Nope - the drummer was Paul Vignoles

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Was that the band JJ was with in the 70s or am I thinking of a different band?
    There is still an 'Elastic Band' playing around town but dont know if it has any connection to the original. Remember when they used to play the Salthill Festival in the eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Well you can hear them again. There is a reunion charity gig called 'blast from the past' happening Monday week 16th Jan in the salthill hotel featuring eight bands that played around Galway in the 80s and 90s including rock and roll circus. Tickets are €15 and it's in aid of cf Ireland and a meningitis charity. Bands also include the kopykatz, in heavens quarter, nite flight, 5th avenue, the elastic band, the amadáns and others. Worth the money just to see frankie and the boys again.

By the way OP, the reason they were so popular is that they were so good. You haven't lived if you haven't seen Frankie Coulihan playing the guitar. Half the crowd were all the other guitarists in Galway sitting with their mouths open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

The last song of their set was always 'Cocaine'. All 15-20mins of guitar bliss from Frankie. The pub used to fill up for that track alone. Aaahhh the memories. Think Frankie is still with 'The Conquerors' now. A guitar genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

btw the full line-up for Rock'n'Roll Circus was Frankie Coulihan, Cha Reidy, Christy Donnelly and Paul (Viggy) Vignoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

error

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

That charity gig sounds like the business, a cool idea.

Great gig. Frankie in great form. Ears still ringing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Myksyk wrote: »
    Great gig. Frankie in great form. Ears still ringing.

It was a brilliant night !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 endadempsey

Unbelievable night! Frankie was on fire!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Great night, Frankie was unbelievable...really gave it shtick!

The Amadans were briliant too

• Registered Users Posts: 19 guitarguy18

My dad tells me about Frankie he said he used go to galway to see him, does he still play I really want to her the man I heard so much about

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is an old outdated thread and others will get confused because answers are several years old. Keep your questions to your dedicated thread please.
    You can link to other older threads if necessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement