Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

G Shock Problem

• 03-10-2011 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I have a G Shock Giez (GS 1100D).

The problem I have with it is that when I go to use the stop watch one of the hands is not resetting to "0", instead it resets somewhere between the "1" and "2" position.

The hand in question in on the bottom dial face.

I have tried contacting Casio directly but have heard nothing and I have also contacted the seller on Amazon but as yet no reply.

Is there such a thing as a "hard reset" on these watches i.e. put them back to factory settings?

The manual offers no help at all and only covers the basics.

Are there any Casio shops in Dublin that may be able to help.

Sorry for all the questions but the watch is barely 10 months old and is has had this problem for about 2 months now so getting desperate for a solution.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sounds like a fault where the hand was loose and rotated slightly, so I doubt if a factory reset would be any use TBH. I had that with a hour hand on a marathon quartz once. Casio are usually pretty robust though. Pity they haven't gotten back to you, given it's under warranty, though maybe they don't recognise it, because it was a amazon sale? I suppose a watch repair place could physically reset the hand in question, but I've no idea of costs and then the seals may need replacing with it. Sorry I can't be more help to you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sounds like a fault where the hand was loose and rotated slightly, so I doubt if a factory reset would be any use TBH. I had that with a hour hand on a marathon quartz once. Casio are usually pretty robust though. Pity they haven't gotten back to you, given it's under warranty, though maybe they don't recognise it, because it was a amazon sale? I suppose a watch repair place could physically reset the hand in question, but I've no idea of costs and then the seals may need replacing with it. Sorry I can't be more help to you.

Thanks for the reply, at least it's something to go on. The hand works perfectly in all other functions, just not in the stop watch mode

I reckon I may try to return it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Have you not got an option in the manual for setting 'hands home position' or something like that ?

Sometimes in G Shocks that lack tough movement feature, the hands can be knocked out of alignment - there is usually a way to reset them back to their correct parameters.

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Have you not got an option in the manual for setting 'hands home position' or something like that ?

Sometimes in G Shocks that lack tough movement feature, the hands can be knocked out of alignment - there is usually a way to reset them back to their correct parameters.

I'll try again to find if there is a home position setting. It's a "Tough Solar". It was quite expensive at over €350 so I didn't expect any trouble from it as I've had G Shocks for about 15 years without a problem on any if them. This was my first non digital G Shock and my first with a problem.

Tough Solar G Shocks should re-adjust the hands from any misalignment on the hour every hour, as much as re-adjust is needed.

If the watch is under warranty, go back to the retailer.

• Advertisement

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Tough Solar G Shocks should re-adjust the hands from any misalignment on the hour every hour, as much as re-adjust is needed.

If the watch is under warranty, go back to the retailer.

The hands realign themselves every night but when you try to use the stop watch function the second hand defaults to a position between 1 & 2 instead of 0. The watch is working fine, except in the stopwatch mode.

I bought it online from an e-tailer via Amazon.co.uk and they don't accept returns. They just say to bring it to an authorised Casio dealer, get them to confirm the fault and send it back to Casio.

Now that's customer care right there.

The thing is I can't find an Authorised Casio Dealer in Ireland.

The only ones listed on Casios website are in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

That sounds like a fob off. I'd contact amazon directly.

I think I have it sorted. I found a way to manually move the hands to the correct position using the buttons so I have reset everything back to "0 / 12". I then reselected the Home City and it seems to be working fine now.

I'll see if anything changes after it updates itself tonight.

Thank you for all replies and suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

You need a degree to operate some of those Casios :D

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    You need a degree to operate some of those Casios :D

Agreed!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I had been thinking about posting something very similar about one of my watches, but instead sent a query to Casio support, who autoreplied that I would receive a reply within 3 working days, am waiting about a week now.

I have a Waveceptor WVQ-M610, and the centre second hand (one for the stopwatch and timezone marker) resets to 6 o'clock, and the day marker is off too.

Here is a photo of it I took a few days ago in stopwatch mode and reset.

20110928_121501.jpg

So two of the sub dials are correct, the 9 o'clock one and the 6 o'clock one, but the 3 o'clock one should be pointed towards 12 o'clock along with the centre second hand.

Any advice appreciated

I suppose I should probably have a thorough read of the manual, but don't remember seeing anything about resetting hands

The reset that I did was in the manual.

I reset all the hands manually and even the day display. Then I just auto updated it and it worked.

I'd say try going through the manual and look for a section titled "Adjusting Home Positions" thats what it was called in my manual.

Adjusting home positions was my first thought - but I wrongly thought tough solar G's don't have/require that option - i think that's true of the newer ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

j14 wrote: »
    The reset that I did was in the manual.

I reset all the hands manually and even the day display. Then I just auto updated it and it worked.

I'd say try going through the manual and look for a section titled "Adjusting Home Positions" thats what it was called in my manual.

Yep, found it, worked a treat, thanks -I'd been getting the day wrong for months :D

Advertisement