Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Creches?

Options
  • 03-10-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering does anybody know about community creches? I hear stories of people paying very little for chilc care - sort of a fiver a day because it is a community creche.

Anybody know about these?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I had heard the same about Community Creches so I rang my local one a few weeks ago. I was thinking about sending my daughter a couple of days so she could spend some time with other child. They wanted 36 euro for a full day for my daughter. However I do know of a couple of people who are on One Parent Family payments and it cost them 7 euro a day to send a child there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I know quite a lot about them.
    They are usually not for profit charities.
    The people that benefit the most from them are those in receipt of social welfare payments as they get subvention.
    http://www.dcya.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=%2Fdocuments%2Fchildcare%2FCC_Subvention_Scheme%2FCC_Subvention_Scheme.htm

I am not 100% up to date at the moment but the top rate that you could charge a week was under 200 euro.

If you need any more info just ask me and I will answer when I have some time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I had my boy in a community childcare centre up until 2 months ago. We paid the full rate as I wasn't getting any state benefits, that worked out at €30 for a full day (anytime between 8-5.30) including meals, which is the same as I'm paying now for a private creche. If one of the parents is in receipt of a social welfare (including family income supplement) then the rate was something like €5.20 for the same service. We only switched because we were moving house and as far as I'm concerned there is no comparison between the two services - the community childcare creche was absolutely excellent.

Their staff were all fully trained as normal (FETAC 5 & 6 minimum) but they had a policy of encouraging everyone to work towards degrees in childcare (which they facilitated and part-funded). They had a very structured 'curriculum' and were big into the professionalisation of early years education and involving men in childcare (all international best practice). There was a great mix of kids, they regularly involved parents in their activities and you were always welcome to stay for a coffee and a chat mornings or evenings. I really miss it and my 2-year old still asks after the staff there.

Our current creche is perfectly fine but it doesn't have the same atmosphere as the community childcare one did - it's very much run as a business and while the staff are lovely and the facilities grand, it does have a touch of the conveyer belt about it. I think I was spoilt with the first one!

Advertisement