Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Repair

• 03-10-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Does anybody know if there is a store in waterford that repairs games consoles as i don't want to go through the hassle of sending it away for repair and also hoping that i might get it a little cheaper than going through sony.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If you get someone outside to have a look at it you're voiding any warranty, but I'm assuming the warranty has run out if you're trying to cut down the cost.

You shouldn't be paying any cost for a repair anyway, unless the fault was your own. If the PS3 stopped working, its not fit for the purpose intended and you're entitled to a refund or repair.
    (Don't take my word for it, this is just how I arranged my own replacement).

What exactly happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 elchupanebray

If you get someone outside to have a look at it you're voiding any warranty, but I'm assuming the warranty has run out if you're trying to cut down the cost.

You shouldn't be paying any cost for a repair anyway, unless the fault was your own. If the PS3 stopped working, its not fit for the purpose intended and you're entitled to a refund or repair.
    (Don't take my word for it, this is just how I arranged my own replacement).

What exactly happened to it?

pretty sure it over heated,now it will go on standby but won't power up,i've seen it refered to as the yellow light of death "YLOD".I have it 4/5 years now so the warranty is long gone,suppose there is no harm in ringing sony and getting some information anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

pretty sure it over heated,now it will go on standby but won't power up,i've seen it refered to as the yellow light of death "YLOD".I have it 4/5 years now so the warranty is long gone,suppose there is no harm in ringing sony and getting some information anyway
    I got the yellow light of death on mine, theres no real fix as far as I know. Ended up getting sent a replacement. Even if someone did open it up for a look, I don't think theres anything they can do.

Ring consumer rights just to make sure you know what you're saying to Sony before you ring them.

yeah either way it looks like sony is my only option if i want it repaired,thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

you can go to the sony site and look through there, I did a google search and found http://www.cccit.ie/ who are authorised sony repair personnel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I think Sony costs €160 and they'll give you a refurbished model.

There is a solution to fix YLOD which involves a heat gun and thermal paste. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭blaa85

Costs a bit to get repaired outside of warrenty. I'd only pay that if it was a fat model that played ps2 games. Tried repairing mine with the heat gun and thermal paste. It turned on and stayed on but wouldn't play any games, either by disc or psn games. Films, music, internet work. On amazon for around €250 delivered ya can get 320gb ps3 with Resistance 3 and Battle:LA on Blu-Ray.

blaa85 wrote: »
    Costs a bit to get repaired outside of warrenty. I'd only pay that if it was a fat model that played ps2 games. Tried repairing mine with the heat gun and thermal paste. It turned on and stayed on but wouldn't play any games, either by disc or psn games. Films, music, internet work. On amazon for around €250 delivered ya can get 320gb ps3 with Resistance 3 and Battle:LA on Blu-Ray.

i would go get a new one seen as my model is only 40gb bought in 2008 but i don't want to sacrifice all my saved data serious man hours put in to get me where i'm at,from what everyone has said i'm guessing there is no store in waterford that does these repairs ,i've got plenty of thinkin to do,this is worse than sophies choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Does anybody know if there is a store in waterford that repairs games consoles as i don't want to go through the hassle of sending it away for repair and also hoping that i might get it a little cheaper than going through sony.

PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GambitsRevenge

Iv successfully fixed the YLOD on 3 60GB PS3's, (my own, a colleagues, and his friends). If your still stuck, PM me. I can get it done overnight, and at the very least you will be able to retrieve your save games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

Try These guys .. Their great.

Advertisement