Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing gear duty

Options
  • 03-10-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

does anybody know what or how the customs duty is charged on fishing gear coming in from the US? is it done as a percentage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Same as most other things. You pay around 3.7% duty on the total cost including shipping and then 21% on that. The only exception can be some cane rods which you can get classed as a craft and will then have a lower rate or non at all. Saying that I've never been asked for duty on fishing gear (yet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

"Consignments not exceeding an intrinsic value of €150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty, while consignments not exceeding an intrinsic value of €22 may be imported without payment of VAT. (Intrinsic value is the value of the goods alone, and does not include insurance and freight.) However, it should be noted in particular that there is no relief (from Customs Duty, VAT or Excise duty) under this negligible value provision for importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcohol products, perfumes or toilet waters irrespective of their value."

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1179.html

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Relief from payment of Customs Duty and VAT is allowed on gifts consigned to an individual living in Ireland, from outside of the EU, provided the Customs value (this is the value of the goods plus insurance and freight (which includes postage) costs (CIF value)) of the goods does not exceed €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

thanks for the replies, much appreciated, so could i say that its roughly 25% to add on for the VAT/duty charges?

thanks for the replies, much appreciated, so could i say that its roughly 25% to add on for the VAT/duty charges?

Yeah I generally put about 25% aside when I'm thinking of importing. Most times you can get the same item somewhere in europe cheaper when you take all the costs into account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

IBD,

I having been looking a New Echo 10ft 6wt in USA. For $188, I think it's a cracking price, but it would kill me to pay over the top duty and vat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130497928693?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1341wt_932

IBD,

I having been looking a New Echo 10ft 6wt in USA. For $188, I think it's a cracking price, but it would kill me to pay over the top duty and vat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130497928693?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1341wt_932

Its about an extra €30, so fully in you are looking around €195.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Most times you can get the same item somewhere in europe cheaper when you take all the costs into account

yes you are probably correct, but one thing is plenty of time until next season to do a bit of looking around on the net, no big hurry. thanks :)

Advertisement